Question about FL Chams safe plant list

So I actually listened to a few podcasts last night at work from season 1 or 2 but I heard Bill say that our "chameleon safe plant list" is actually a "dog and cat safe plant list". Can't remember what episode it was. I think Taxonomy I believe. Anyways he went on to say that however by using this safe plant list we have not experienced any poisoned chameleons because of it. Pothos is actually toxic but the amount a chameleon would need to eat or it to kill it may be more than he/she could swallow. Hope this helps?

So I actually listened to a few podcasts last night at work from season 1 or 2 but I heard Bill say that our "chameleon safe plant list" is actually a "dog and cat safe plant list". Can't remember what episode it was. I think Taxonomy I believe. Anyways he went on to say that however by using this safe plant list we have not experienced any poisoned chameleons because of it. Pothos is actually toxic but the amount a chameleon would need to eat or it to kill it may be more than he/she could swallow. Hope this helps?
Was he referring to the plant list that FL Chams has up?

Was he referring to the plant list that FL Chams has up?
I'm not 100% on that. But he says there is no chameleon safe plant list because there's no research into it. Nobody has made their veiled chameleon try different plants until it died fortunately and unfortunately for us. But.... I fully believe that Beman should be fine with any plant on that list. Especially if they're non toxic to us mammals

I'm not 100% on that. But he says there is no chameleon safe plant list because there's no research into it. Nobody has made their veiled chameleon try different plants until it died fortunately and unfortunately for us. But.... I fully believe that Beman should be fine with any plant on that list. Especially if they're non toxic to us mammals
I’m scared lol but I need stuff that will do well outside.

Most Philodendrons have similar toxicity to pothos. I believe they are high in oxalates and eaten in large quantities can be toxic as well as induce vomiting. I think scheffler has similiar (but going off late night memory so don’t quote me). Clarice eats her plants quite a bit when she “drinks”.... so I added a small curly kale plant and she tears that up when she’s in the mood instead of other plants. If you are ok with pothos risk i think philodendrons are ok... but again, double check the aspca list and WHY/HOW they are toxic.

I would look the toxicity up elsewhere - like ASPCA I think has a dog/cat list that goes into detail how they are toxic: liver issues, skin issues, vomit, etc.

Most Philodendrons have similar toxicity to pothos. I believe they are high in oxalates and eaten in large quantities can be toxic as well as induce vomiting. I think scheffler has similiar (but going off late night memory so don’t quote me). Clarice eats her plants quite a bit when she “drinks”.... so I added a small curly kale plant and she tears that up when she’s in the mood instead of other plants. If you are ok with pothos risk i think philodendrons are ok... but again, double check the aspca list and WHY/HOW they are toxic.

I would look the toxicity up elsewhere - like ASPCA I think has a dog/cat list that goes into detail how they are toxic: liver issues, skin issues, vomit, etc.
Thanks hun I will look into that!

In South Africa we have a quite a few different kinds of thorn trees with tussels of magnificent feather looking flowers that attract all kinds of bugs! If one wants to see beautiful chameleons that is the place to hang out! Yet, I have never seen a chameleon impaled by these thorns! I did a quick google search and found a lot of pictures taken with chameleons in thorn trees. Here are some.
Screenshot_20190504-202234_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190504-203144_Chrome.jpg

In South Africa we have a quite a few different kinds of thorn trees with tussels of magnificent feather looking flowers that attract all kinds of bugs! If one wants to see beautiful chameleons that is the place to hang out! Yet, I have never seen a chameleon impaled by these thorns! I did a quick google search and found a lot of pictures taken with chameleons in thorn trees. Here are some.View attachment 231194

View attachment 231197
I’m more afraid of him eating leaves or flowers that would hurt him. Dang veileds and their let me munch on plants habit lol

In a lot of parts of South Africa the summers are very hot! Chameleons will often sit with their mouths open to help them cool down.
Beman will gape outside after about 20 minutes when it’s only 60 degrees but in full sun so it is quite warm. I always take him back inside but I have been curious if I am over protective and maybe gapping to a certain degree may be healthy for them since this is how they regulate the heat. I overthink everything though with him lol

Back
Top Bottom