Question about feeding baby chams

Mr. J hahaha

Established Member
How do all you breeders out there feed flightless fruit flies to your baby chams? I don’t want them escaping and I have another outbreak on my hands. Please let me know and if you got pictures even better lol. I have should have babies hatching next month or so. Thank you in advance

I use a little plastic Dixie cup thing like one you would use for a dipping sauce. I coat the inside of the cup with a calcium powder so they cannot climb out. This works better with Drosophila hydei then it does Drosophila melanogaster. Depending on the age of the chameleon whether that’s a neonite or a hatchling supplementation should not be used daily, thus this method can not be used every feed. If you have many babies and they’re in a bin I also know of some old school keepers who would smear a very thin layer of Vaseline along the top of the baby bin. Not sure if this is a practical or problematic method or if it is even still used. Either way you’re going to have escapees, there’s no true fail proof method when dealing with fruit flies.

Back
Top Bottom