question about dripper

Jeffw

if the dripper is supposed to drip 2 to 3 drops a sec, does that mean u constantly have to refil the cup and empty what the water it lands in?

Yea i guess if you have a small little cup. For like $8 you can buy a big dripper that holds a gallon. That you would only re fill once every day maybe? Ive never dripped tho...

I have an automated dripping system that runs at about .75 GPH which is a drop every 1.5 seconds and from two spots in the cage and I use about 3 gallons a day.... If that gives you some reference points :)

Either have it drip into a plant or have some drainage for your cage for all the water to get caught at the bottom

Either have it drip into a plant or have some drainage for your cage for all the water to get caught at the bottom

I think drainage is the best way to go. Less hassle having to change it all the time, and if you don't change it all the time sitting water creates bacteria quickly.

if the dripper is supposed to drip 2 to 3 drops a sec, does that mean u constantly have to refil the cup and empty what the water it lands in?

1 drop every few seconds would be better for drainage purposes and will still allow them to drink just fine. I fill my dripper up enough to drip until early afternoon at a drop every few seconds and that's all since my chams drink in the morning primarily.

Took me so long to get a drip that Tanzy will drink from.. I use a gallon jug with a hole. drips slowly. I fill it up once a day at around 10 and it drips till almost 8 at night

Drainage is going to be your friend. Even if you have it drip onto a plant (which is an excellent idea) you'll want the plant to drain or it will get nasty. It doesn't have to be an expensive drainage system. You can just drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the cage and set the cage over a container to catch the water.

Yup, I tried several different methods but me and my cham have settled on a great compromise.
I've got a piece of kit called a "big dripper" (I'm one of the rarer UK members) which I fill with warm water and a water treatment product to combat the chlorine.
This drips through the top mesh of the reptibreeze on to some fake leaves (always the same ones), then on to a branch, where it trickles down to the bare floor of the cage.
At one corner of the large tray underneath the reptibreeze is a hole which lets the water escape into a bucket. Twice a day I wipe out the bottom of the tray and empty the bucket.
No smell and Budgie always knows where she can get a drink from :D

Back
Top Bottom