Question About Calcium

Whiskyness

I'm still fairly new at owning a Chameleon, and I had a question about the Calcium supplement I am using.

It was recommended to me by the person I buy my crickets from that I should try the "Repashy Calcium Plus" supplement, instead of Calcium with D3, and a multivitamin. He insisted "it has everything in it", and to only dust a few times a week.

I've been dusting with this stuff about every third day, and

A) I'm worried I might be dusting too often

and

B) I'm worried this supplement may not have "everything in it".

Has anyone had any experience with this supplement?

I don't use Repashy, but I know many keepers that do and have wonderful results. I may switch to Repashy once I get done with my containers of Sticky Tongue Farms stuff. I'm sure it's fine to use weekly, but someone who uses the product will come through and be able to give you better advice on it.

Here's some info I copied from Repashy's website on this product.

"Calcium Plus
VITAMIN AND CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT

Our “All-in-One” Calcium Supplement with added Vitamins, Trace Minerals, and Carotenoids for Dusting Insects. No need for a Separate Vitamin Supplement.
DIRECTIONS: Use with every insect feeding. Best applied by placing insects in a plastic bag or container with Calcium Plus and shaking to lightly coat insects. Feed insects to your animals shortly thereafter.

INGREDIENTS: Calcium Carbonate, Dried Kelp, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, RoseHips, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Hibiscus Flower, Algae Meal, Turmeric, Rosemary Extract, Natural Fruit Flavor, Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Selenium Yeast. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. .2%, Crude Fat min. .2%, Crude Fiber max. 4%, Moisture max. 8%, Calcium min. 17%, Vitamin A min. 200,000 IU/lb, Vitamin D min. 20,000 IU/lb, Vitamin E min. 2,000 IU/lb."

Thank you for your reply!

I'm just worried that because it's a general supplement that can be used for many different reptiles, that using it everyday would be too much.

I've been using Repashy Calcium Plus almost daily for about 4 months now with no issues. It has the Calcium with small amounts of D3 and multi-vitamins, so it makes it more difficult for accidental overdose. Of course you'll want to implement variety by properly gut-loading and offering different types of feeders to his diet. With warmer weather around the corner, I've been cutting back to about 3-4 times a week since I am able to take my guy outside for natural sunlight.

I wanted to add in case you weren't aware. You only need to dust your hard bodied feeders such as roaches, crickets, superworms, mealworms,etc. Soft bodied feeders such as silkworms, phoenix worms, hornworms, are all fairly high in calcium already.

New question

Because we are on the subject of Repashy, I have a question of my own. The guy who I bought my chameleon. Told me to buy Repashy Superfood Calcium plus LoD, and Repashy Superfood supervite. He told me to powder crickets with one and one day and the other on the other day. Is this okay? I have seen different things on when to powder and with what. I have a baby male veiled, 1 month old I believe.

I've been using Repashy Calcium Plus almost daily for about 4 months now with no issues ....I wanted to add in case you weren't aware. You only need to dust your hard bodied feeders such as roaches, crickets, superworms, mealworms,etc. Soft bodied feeders such as silkworms, phoenix worms, hornworms, are all fairly high in calcium already.

Thank you! I'm doing it every other day now, and I'll see how he does with that.
And I did know about the dusting, thank you though. As someone who is new to owning a chameleon, any little piece of information is helpful! More than once someone has said "You probably already know this but..." And I haven't know it.

Back
Top Bottom