Question about buldge under neck...

I put the insects in a tall deli cup and put in enough supplement that the crickets are lightly coated when I shake it up gently.
If the crickets look like ghosts then you overdid it.

I feed the insects, sweet potatoes, romain lettuce, carrots, fruit occasionally like strawberries, pineapple, apples and oranges. I change the food every day.
I never use pineapple or oranges but I can't tell you if they're bad or not.
Romain is ok for hydrating the insects. I would do dandelions, kale, collards, squash, zucchini, sweet red peppers, mustard greens sometimes to.

I put the insects in a tall deli cup and put in enough supplement that the crickets are lightly coated when I shake it up gently.
If the crickets look like ghosts then you overdid it.
Got it! I'm thinking I may have over done it. I usually put the crickets in a cup, dump them in a bag and gently shake. I think I may just skip the bag altogether and just put a small amount of supplement in the cup and gently swirl the cup with crickets in it.

I never use pineapple or oranges but I can't tell you if they're bad or not.
Romain is ok for hydrating the insects. I would do dandelions, kale, collards, squash, zucchini, sweet red peppers, mustard greens sometimes to.
Awesome! Can I use dandelions from the yard if I wash them good?

Awesome! Can I use dandelions from the yard if I wash them good?
As long as there are no pesticides, insecticides, etc used on the lawn.
I used to grow a pot of dandelions in my yard just for the critters. My uromastyx used to love the flowers! (I kept the flowers picked so they didn't go to seed and grow in the neighbors yards!)

So the repashy calcium plus LoD version is used two times a month on say the 1st and the 15th. Lightly dusting all feeders.

I use these for supplements. one for each supplement. Then I can shake off excess. Pull the tube out and just pour through the hole then pour back out into a cup. It can be used for any feeder. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee
Ok. That's great. Thanks for that. I'm wondering if I should hold off on the supplements for a week to let his body get readjusted or if I should only dust every other feeding? I just want to help him recover as quickly as possible but as healthy as possible too.

Ok. That's great. Thanks for that. I'm wondering if I should hold off on the supplements for a week to let his body get readjusted or if I should only dust every other feeding? I just want to help him recover as quickly as possible but as healthy as possible too.
The calcium without D3 you should not need to hold back. The Repashy I would wait 2-3 weeks before giving it again if the edema has resolved. And do not use the one I put an X through at all. You will know when the supplement load is decreasing because the Edema will start to go down and disappear.

The calcium without D3 you should not need to hold back. The Repashy I would wait 2-3 weeks before giving it again if the edema has resolved. And do not use the one I put an X through at all. You will know when the supplement load is decreasing because the Edema will start to go down and disappear.
That's what I was thinking but thankful you confirmed. He's my first handsome little green guy and I'm definitely not all knowing like so many of you on this forum are. ? You guys are a ton of help. It is truly appreciated. ?

That's what I was thinking but thankful you confirmed. He's my first handsome little green guy and I'm definitely not all knowing like so many of you on this forum are. ? You guys are a ton of help. It is truly appreciated. ?
Your welcome. And if you want to continue to learn then I recommend this husbandry program. Go through all the modules and you will have a complete understanding of all the basics. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

So my chameleon also has the bulge under her neck, and i do only give her calcium 2 times a month. It is making me worried, because i do not know what it is. The bulge has grown though !PLEASE HELP!!!
5C1FB4DD-038D-47CC-8843-3D0FCA14FBE2_1_201_a.jpeg

Can you please post a few more photos of her so we can see her from the side like the one you already posted please. Please post a few of her cage...lights included.
I actually don't see much of a bulge.

Calcium twice a month is not enough to prevent her from developing MBD IMHO. It also should have nothing to do with edema.

What specific supplements do you use?
I'm particularly interested in the form of vitamin A, the D3, phos and calcium.

What UVB light do you use? Long linear or compact?

What do you feed to the insects? What insects do you feed her.

How old is she? Has she ever laid eggs?

So she is I think about 3 and a half, and i am unsure if she has laid eggs or not. When i got her, her cage was extremely small, and bare with plants and leaves. For Christmas though, we got her the Reptibreeze x-large cage, but i have not got it built yet, because it came damaged and we are getting a new one. I give her the Fluker´s Repti Calcium.
1642520071365.png
I am not sure what type of UVB she has, but it makes me think it is not a UVB, for the fact that it looks like a normal light-bulb. I feed the insects small kale leaves, and the insects I feed her are wax worms, crickets, and house spiders if I find any!I used to feed her meal worms, but since I heard they were bad, I am going to start feeding her super worms since they are better for her. (P.S.Quick question, how much should we feed our chameleon every day?):)I will show you a pic in a little, as soon as I find one of her.

@camila_thecameleon ...you should make a separate thread for this so people don't read the OP's posts thinking it was you that started the thread.

The calcium you have has D3 in it. How often do you dust with it?

How many insects do you feed her in a week? Please be specific.
What domyou feed to the insects? Please be specific.

@camila_thecameleon ...you should make a separate thread for this so people don't read the OP's posts thinking it was you that started the thread.

The calcium you have has D3 in it. How often do you dust with it?

How many insects do you feed her in a week? Please be specific.
What domyou feed to the insects? Please be specific.
I dust her insects at least 2 times a month. the most i have fed her in a week is 20 worms. I feed the insects kale leaves. here are a few better pics of her.(the last one was just for fun:))
Photo on 1-18-22 at 4.53 PM.jpg
Photo on 1-18-22 at 4.54 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 1-18-22 at 4.54 PM.jpg
Photo on 1-18-22 at 4.54 PM #3.jpg

You said..."I dust her insects at least 2 times a month"...not specific enough....but we can do it this way....it's recommended that at every feeding but one a week, the insects should be dusted lightly with a PHOS free calcium powder just before being fed to the chameleon. On that one feeding per week that you don't use the calcium powder, you should alternate between a PHOS free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder with a preformed vitamin A and no D3...dusted lightly on the insects.

You said..."the most i have fed her in a week is 20 worms"...at that age she should be fed 2 or 3 times a week. If you are not intending to breed her she should only get 4 or 5 crickets (or equal value in other insects) per feeding to help keep her from laying huge clutches, developing follicular stasis, egg binding, etc.

You said..."I feed the insects kale leaves"...if you want to have a healthy chameleon you should make sure the insects are healthy too...so you'll want to feed them better. Crickets, roaches, superworms can be fed dandelion greens, kale, collards, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, carrots, squash, and a small amount of apple, pear, berries.other insects should be fed appropriate foods too.

The bulge isn't looking too big...it's likely, if you make the changes suggested, it will subside. If not you can ask again in a few days.

You said..."I am not sure what type of UVB she has, but it makes me think it is not a UVB, for the fact that it looks like a normal light-bulb"... So does she have a UVB bulb? If it's a bulb not a tube it's likely no good anyway.

Back
Top Bottom