Question about buldge under neck...

In the last week, I have noticed a buldge in Rosco's neck. It is soft, not hard. I have not changed anything about his enclosure and I have done a husbandry check about a couple of months ago. The only thing I have added is a misting system that I made with the help of a few people on the forum. He is eating great and his urates and poops look good. The urates are nice and white. I have his misting system scheduled to go off 5 times a day with the first and last one spraying for 3 minutes and the others, 2 minutes. He is sleeping well. I can't think of any changes that I've done other than I fed him 3 hawk moths a couple of weeks ago. I had horn worms that cocooned and hatched. Since then, he eats about 4-5 crickets every other day on average. His activity levels have not changed nor his behavior. I give him super worms occasionally and wax worms, maybe once a week if that. His food gets dusted (except the hawk moths) with calcium every time, repashy vitamin supplement every other week and a vitamin supplement on alternating weeks from the repashy supplement. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20200807_185652.jpg
    20200807_185652.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 20200807_190053.jpg
    20200807_190053.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20200807_190120.jpg
    20200807_190120.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200807_190223.jpg
    20200807_190223.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 94
In the last week, I have noticed a buldge in Rosco's neck. It is soft, not hard. I have not changed anything about his enclosure and I have done a husbandry check about a couple of months ago. The only thing I have added is a misting system that I made with the help of a few people on the forum. He is eating great and his urates and poops look good. The urates are nice and white. I have his misting system scheduled to go off 5 times a day with the first and last one spraying for 3 minutes and the others, 2 minutes. He is sleeping well. I can't think of any changes that I've done other than I fed him 3 hawk moths a couple of weeks ago. I had horn worms that cocooned and hatched. Since then, he eats about 4-5 crickets every other day on average. His activity levels have not changed nor his behavior. I give him super worms occasionally and wax worms, maybe once a week if that. His food gets dusted (except the hawk moths) with calcium every time, repashy vitamin supplement every other week and a vitamin supplement on alternating weeks from the repashy supplement. Any ideas?
What exactly are you using for supplements? Take pics and post.
This looks like Edema. Most commonly from incorrect supplementation.

What exactly are you using for supplements? Take pics and post.
This looks like Edema. Most commonly from incorrect supplementation.
Calcium every feeding, and the other ones, every other Saturday.

Attachments

• 20200807_202146.jpg
    20200807_202146.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 88
Calcium every feeding, and the other ones, every other Saturday.
You want to only use the calcium without D3 on the left and the repashy in the middle 2 times a month. The one on the right should not be given.

When is your next dose of Repashy?

You want to only use the calcium without D3 on the left and the repashy in the middle 2 times a month. The one on the right should not be given.

When is your next dose of Repashy?
Omg! I'm overdosing my poor baby! ? His next repashy dose is tomorrow but I won't feed him tomorrow so I gave it to him this morning with 5 crickets. He ate 4 of them. So then do I not give the calcium with every feeding? Maybe I've misunderstood. What do I do to help with the edema?

Omg! I'm overdosing my poor baby! ? His next repashy dose is tomorrow but I won't feed him tomorrow so I gave it to him this morning with 5 crickets. He ate 4 of them. So then do I not give the calcium with every feeding? Maybe I've misunderstood. What do I do to help with the edema?
Here I did a picture so we don't get this wrong. When did you give him the repashy last?

20200807_202146 copy.jpg

What do you feed to the insects? Please be specific.
What form of and how much vitamin A is in the two supplements on the right? Look for words like beta carotene, retinol, retinyl, retinal, etc.

Here I did a picture so we don't get this wrong. When did you give him the repashy last?

View attachment 274214
I gave it to him on the 25th of last month. I guess I was just worried because you had mentioned the calcium w/out D3 and then the repashy twice a month. I was worried that I had been giving him too much calcium. Thank you. I will 100% ditch the other supplement.

I gave it to him on the 25th of last month. I guess I was just worried because you had mentioned the calcium w/out D3 and then the repashy twice a month. I was worried that I had been giving him too much calcium. Thank you. I will 100% ditch the other supplement.
@kinyonga will give you more specific feedback. But the edema will resolve when his body processes out the over supplementation. It is not from the calcium without D3.

There are a lot of reasons for gular edema in chameleons. Please be aware that I am not a vet and can only give you ideas of what might be the cause.
Hypervitaminosis A and kidney issues are two of the more common...so I usually start asking about supplements....but here's a list from a vet I have a lot of faith in..
http://www.uvma.org/chameleon/edema.htm

There are a lot of reasons for gular edema in chameleons. Please be aware that I am not a vet and can only give you ideas of what might be the cause.
Hypervitaminosis A and kidney issues are two of the more common...so I usually start asking about supplements....but here's a list from a vet I have a lot of faith in..
http://www.uvma.org/chameleon/edema.htm
Thank you! Could it be caused by the supplement and if so, about when should I see the swelling go down? I am going to keep an eye on him but am wondering at what point I should look at taking him to a vet to be seen? I have taken him to the vet before and he was slightly dehydrated but the vet said it wasn't horrible. That was a couple of weeks after I rescued him. I've seen him drink from his dripper and when the misting system comes on, he usually kind of freaks out but then goes towards it where I'm sure he is drinking because like I said, his urates look great. No orange or anything.

It takes a while to get rid of any build up if it's a supplement issue.
Good that he's well hydrated...that helps the kidneys.

It takes a while to get rid of any build up if it's a supplement issue.
Good that he's well hydrated...that helps the kidneys.
Ok. Good to know. Should I only give him the repashy supplement once a month, I wonder, until the swelling goes down or is that something that is dire?

For many years I've used RepCal phos free calcium at al feedings but 4 a month and RepCal phos free calcium/D3 twice a month and herptivite twice a month...al lightly.

For many years I've used RepCal phos free calcium at al feedings but 4 a month and RepCal phos free calcium/D3 twice a month and herptivite twice a month...al lightly.
Ok. Can ask how your method is of "lightly" is. I have been putting crickets in a bag, lightly shaking and then removing. Am I doing this wrong too I wonder?

Back
Top Bottom