question about branches

reggie713

like the title says, i have a question about natural branches, i cut down some trees in the yard today, and found some pretty cool pieces i would like to use in my new setup.
i never use any kind of pesticide or weed killer in my yard at all, but was wondering should i "prepare" them any special way?
thanx in advance

I take mine and put them in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. Some people just put them in the bathtub and scrub them down. You never know what insects maybe borowed in the wood

Last edited:
I jus take a blade and shave off all the shavins of the wood and then soak the branches in water over night

thanx guys, i read somewhere about baking them, but wasnt sure that meant really baking them lol.
i have a couple of days before all my supplies arrive, so i think i will scrub them, let em dry, and then bake them. better safe than sorry!

I take them straight off my tree and stick them straight in the cage! I do check for bug infestation and you can wash them with soapy water if you wish. I have always thought the baking was overkill, but that is just my opinion.

I usually scrub them down with a soapy/mild bleach solution. Just to take off the top layer of dirt and deal with any potential parasites.

Your choice may be dictated by where you live. For example, I have a ton of native reptiles (anoles and geckos mainly) running around here and they do carry parasites. So, to be on the safe side, I do the above.

Bobby

I take them straight off my tree and stick them straight in the cage! I do check for bug infestation and you can wash them with soapy water if you wish. I have always thought the baking was overkill, but that is just my opinion.

I agree totally, we tend to be too paranoid.:)

Back
Top Bottom