quest on basking lights?

reptileman

Avid Member
hey I was wondering if anyone has had success keeping panther chameleons without basking lights, I recently decided to designate an entire room to my chameleon collection and can keep the temperate and humidity in the whole room perfect for chams, if I did this would it eliminate the need for a basking lights or should I still keep those?

hey I was wondering if anyone has had success keeping panther chameleons without basking lights, I recently decided to designate an entire room to my chameleon collection and can keep the temperate and humidity in the whole room perfect for chams, if I did this would it eliminate the need for a basking lights or should I still keep those?

I would wonder if your chams would suffer if they don't have a "natural" warm-up routine in the mornings. Even if you have great UV lighting for the proper photocycle, they still need warmth to get their metabolism to operating temp to let them hunt, digest food, etc. There is a gradual cycle to the sun (and our basking lights) throughout the day that may have more benefits than we realize. And, if you raise the temp of the room itself there won't be the warm to cool gradient in each cage they can retreat to when they want.

Keep the basking lights, like any other reptile, your lizard/s need to raise their body temperature above ambient. Without such opportunity you will see appetite drop,
sluggish behaviour and general lack of energy and activity, inability to digest food and metabolise D3 and associated issues.

Keep the basking lights, like any other reptile, your lizard/s need to raise their body temperature above ambient. Without such opportunity you will see appetite drop,
sluggish behaviour and general lack of energy and activity, inability to digest food and metabolise D3 and associated issues.

Ditto.

Think about how they function. It's a reptile, not a mammal.

It is just in their programming to bask for heat. The body needs to have a rise and drop in temp through the day. They also self regulate this, maybe it would be stressful for them not to have that ability?

Back
Top Bottom