Quadricornis Observations

Chase

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello all!
Well one thing I have grown a fascination for watching the chameleons interact in their cage. I've been watching my new quadricornis and have found some interesting things.

Timidity: This species is very shy. Every time I walk over to the cage of my pair, the female dives deep into the plant, or completely freezes. She does jump though. I've held them a few times to do a check of cuts, or anything else I didn't see at the reptile show that I would need to record so I know if it changes, for better or for worse. The male on the other hand just freezes until he thinks I left the area. Little does he know I am sitting and watching. He also handles better. He doesn't try to jump off, he trust me more than the female. Neither of them have gapped at me though.

Basking: Although this species does not tolerate warm temperatures, they do love to bask. Right now, it has been highs of 73, with lows of 52-54 at night. When that sun comes up, they are top of their branches, and looking for that sun. They sit there until I mist the second time, and go into the shade, as they have enough warmth and basking. Other than a few times a day, I have not witnessed any other times they are basking.

Feeding: My specimens are slow to eat. They move slow, and seem to be lazy when it comes to trying and catch bugs. They wait until they are nearing them, then shoot them. They do chase them though, they aren't completely lazy.

Watering: Wow. All I can say. I spray the enclosure 3-4 times a day, for about 5-7 minutes each spraying. They drink every time I am spraying, it's amazing. After I am done spraying, while I observe them, they walk under the drips, and lap those up after they were drinking during the actual spraying.

Overall: I love this species already. Not only are they awesome to watch, but they are SO photogenic. It seems like they see the camera, and put on their pretty colors, and just sit still until I'm done. Right now, the temperatures outside are PERFECT for them, so acclimating is going to be easy, I hope. They came in nice, and just are a joy to work with. I think I got two very underrated species with me, and plan to work with these two for a while before thinking about adding another species. I also am excited to breed these, as there are multiple members of the forums who can help me, and I love the idea of having little quads running around my lizard room.

Thanks guys!
LPR08

Hey I expect to have little quads from you to run around my chameleon room. We all need to share the wealth - well how about we share the quads?:D:D

Hey I expect to have little quads from you to run around my chameleon room. We all need to share the wealth - well how about we share the quads?:D:D

Maybe if you are nice :D, just kidding, you're always nice. When they make some babies, you'll be the first to know.

LPR08

They are a great species. I'm going top work with them again. My male though was an aggressive feeder. He would become totally alert when I opened his cage with feeder insects and was in no means slow to feed.

WHAT? Laurie is always nice? :eek:
stop smoking that stuff dude! ;)

glad you like them. they do like to bask don't they.

Harry

Maybe you're the one I have to watch :p
They do! They will sit there and soak up the sun!

They are a great species. I'm going top work with them again. My male though was an aggressive feeder. He would become totally alert when I opened his cage with feeder insects and was in no means slow to feed.

I have come to the conclusion that they were already fed prior to me bringing them home. Their next feeding, they must have been pretty hungry, because they ran around.

Don't worry Laurie, we're expecting a clutch to hatch in the next month or two! ;)

Luis

We're working mainly with T.q.quadricornis. We do have a pair of T.q.gracilior acclimating so I'm not stressing them with breeding until they're ready.

Patience is a virtue! :)

Luis

Back
Top Bottom