Pygmy questions.

scooter4n

Established Member
I got my pygmys last week.
what a joy. I can't stop watching them :)
Here is few questions:
Should I kill all left over crickets before night? Or just live them for the next day.
DO I trow just had full cricks in the tank and let them be, or few per cham and till they are gone then put some more. Tank is still little big for the little guys ( I got 3) and cricks just spread all over the place, I hard to tell if chams got any or not.

Attachments

• IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 137
From my 2+ years of working with brevs, I have never had any problems with feeders attacking the brevs at night. Maybe I missed a wound or two however I scan each brev once a week and have yet to find a feeder injury – or any injury.

It’s perfectly fine to have some crix running around the tank at night; you couldn’t remove them all if you wanted to.

If I see several in the tanks at night then I tend to put in a bit less at the next feeding. They find their food, they are not stupid. If they can find food in the wild then I would think that finding food in a pygmy tank should be a piece of cake. Also, the morning misting does tend to stir up crix hiding and then they tend to get eaten then.

Remember that a hungry brev will be perched facing down towards the substrate – so that’s a good indication that they are hungry. And as I mentioned to you earlier, I would be supplementing them at every feeding with calcium (every other with vitamins ALONG with the calcium) for the next 2-3 months.

-roo

i thought crickets only attacted if they were dehydrated... i always keep a soda lid withe a papertowl in the cage full of water just in case... lol

Thanks roo.
yes, I dust them every feeding.
How do you expect them, do you just take them by hand out of tank?
How do they react to handling?
What is the best way of doing it?

I try and just eyeball them without taking them out. If I see something suspicious then I take them out. You just have to nudge them onto your finger. I prefer to insepect them while they are sleeping using a small flash light. They are non aggressive to handling and are not jumpy but at the same time they are kind of clumsy so you have to be careful not to drop them.

-roo

Back
Top Bottom