Pygmy Owners

kirekameleon

I need to ask a question for someone who does not have a computer or internet. He wants to know if you can house pygmys with any other reptile in the same aquarium. He wanted to know if brown anole and a house gecko could be housed with pygmys as well. I know humidity and temperatures make a difference, I told pygmys probably dont have much of defense but that I would ask. If anyone knows of any reptile that can be housed with pygmys please share.

Erik

I think not, but I could be wrong. I've never understood the point of housing animals of different species in the same place. Is it to save money? Or are the owners hoping the animals will sing along and dance with one another?

I think not, but I could be wrong. I've never understood the point of housing animals of different species in the same place. Is it to save money? Or are the owners hoping the animals will sing along and dance with one another?

I told him do you really want to take the chance of an $8.00 anole killing your 19-29 dollar pygmy. I also told him the pygmys might be skittish (sp) and they should be comfortable. We'll see if anyone else has any remarks but I am sure it is not a good idea. The pygmys could not even sing along they are probably deaf. Thank you.

kire

Pygmies can only be housed with other pygmies of the same species, or by themselves. One male per enclosure, or you can have one male plus females, or a group of females -- provided there is enough space, of course.

Pygmies can only be housed with other pygmies of the same species, or by themselves. One male per enclosure, or you can have one male plus females, or a group of females -- provided there is enough space, of course.

I just did some research on them and it is a bad idea and I will tell him. They are shy and rely on cover. It would stress them to see a larger lizard scurrying by them.

Thank you, maybe not a good question but I did learn about Rhampholean Brevicaudatus so I appreciate his question. Sounds like high maintenance, maybe I am wrong though.

kire

Most of the reptiles you find for sale today don't share the same feeding, misting, temperature, and humidity needs. I wouldn't due to the amount of stress it can cause, and you never know what one reptile may have that can be passed to another, or if aggression will be an issue. Pygmies don't have much in the way of defense only puffing, hissing, vibrating, and hiding. All in all probably not a very good idea for either reptile.

Definitely higher maintenance than something like a Leopard Gecko or Crested Gecko. I'm not sure about other reptiles though, as I don't have experience.

BTW, I'm glad your friend asked *before* he decided to put several reptiles together. Nice that he's doing his research. Thanks for asking for him! :)

Just say NO!! Could they live together?!?! Maybe! But for the sake of the Pygmy DON"T do it!!

I had a pygmy housed with a couple of dart frogs once, I thought it was doing well til it died one day. :(

Back
Top Bottom