Pygmy Cham social structure?

WombatZombat

I've done lots of reading and there are sites that suggest Pygmies (R. brev) can be kept in groups, and others that suggest they are best housed singly. So, I've split mine up into 3 vivs with 3 in 1 viv and 1 in each of the remaining 2 vivs. The group of 3 is a 1.2 arrangement.

I've noticed over the last few days that one of the females appears to be dominant over the other. All 3 pygmies in this viv are eating well and appear to move about freely, but the "dominant" female spends considerably more time in the vicinity of the male and seems to prefer being higher up the foilage than the subordinate female. I have a spare viv on hand in case the arrangement turns out to be stressful.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

I read you can can keep 1 pygmy per 10 gallons. I am getting ready for a 1.2 group of brevs to keep in a 30x24x12 tank.

i dont have pygmys, i would like some, but i was just going to say that is interesting. if the non dominant one starts to get too stressed out can you put her in one of the other vivs with a male? very interesting tho. i would like to know more about what you learn from their behavior.

my guys never cared:p

DSCN0142-x.JPG

I started out with 4 Brev babies. I thought I had 1 male and 3 females but I actually had 2 males and 2 females. One of the males never grew and they ousted him and even though I moved him to his own place he died. My other female died eggbound. My pair seem to coexist quite well with each other. In fact, they have developed this strategy I find interesting...In one corner of the tank there is an opening where the crickets go under the coconut fiber to hide in the layer of hydroton. The crickets eventually one at a time come up to the surface to do whatever it is crickets need to do and those 2 pygmies will sit around that corner waiting for the crickets to come out. It is funny to watch them waiting. I will have to take a picture!

Quick update. I now have 4 Exo Terra's, each has a 1.1 pair in, 3 are brevicaudatus and 1 is temporalis. 1 of the brev pairs were mating on Monday so fingers crossed I'll have babies in a few months.

:D

Back
Top Bottom