Pygmy Cham Sexing

shrum

Established Member
Was looking for some sexing help for my three pygmys.... They were supposed to be a 1.2 but I am not sure. I know the pics are not great but it is the best I have at the moment. Cham one seems female to me because of crest and so does pic two. Pic three seems to not have such a ridged back but sometimes it seems to be more then other times (my eyes may be playing tricks on me). Pic three also displays much more color then the other two so that is what also made me think male. All the tails seem to be the same size too so I am confused lol.... It has been a few years since I have kept chams and now I think I need more room in the house lol.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 312
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 314
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 313
O yea, guarantee you'll end up with more lol. Color really wont help you here, pic 1 is a male and pic 2 is a female. I'm going to say pic 3 is a female, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sexing these guys can be hard, even when you have them in person they make me question it.

I think the first picture is a female. The dorsal crest and the tail are that of a typical female. The next two are difficult to tell. They both sorta look female as well but I can't be sure without more pictures.

Between my dart frog collection and this my wife is ready to get me in a cage.....geez...:p

Sexing these guys can be hard, even when you have them in person they make me question it.

I think the first picture is a female. The dorsal crest and the tail are that of a typical female. The next two are difficult to tell. They both sorta look female as well but I can't be sure without more pictures.

I have only had them for a week or so....would I see aggression if I had two males already? I assume the only real way of telling is watch them and see what happens...

I have only had them for a week or so....would I see aggression if I had two males already? I assume the only real way of telling is watch them and see what happens...

Depends on the size of the cage but for the most part two males will tolerate each other. If you can get some more pictures in time I can give it my best shot on the sexes.

I will try to snap more pics....I have been leaving them alone so they don't get stressed through this first couple weeks....Thanks for your help with this

Depends on the size of the cage but for the most part two males will tolerate each other. If you can get some more pictures in time I can give it my best shot on the sexes.

Not something i personally found when i kept em. But perhaps my tank was too small?:(

All three look female to me.

Back
Top Bottom