Pygmies?

Ambilobe123

Avid Member
So I have a 10 gallon glass tank, screen lid, that has been empty since my baby panther moved into a bigger vivarium. Clearly, I need something to fill it. Because of their needs, I thought of possibly getting a pair of Pygmy chams. I’d like thoughts on the best setup for them, also which species, good plants, substrate, and where to get them. I’d like to compose a list of things I’d need, as I have to convince my parents. Photo of the tank:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 84
A 10 gallon fish tank should not be used for any cham because it does not have proper ventilation and turns into a hot box with RI risk... Get a leopard gecko or fish for it.

Ok thx! I saw online someone said these were good for pygmies, but thanks for the double check
Pygmies have extremely specific care requirements. They die very easily in inexperienced hands. Not something I would recommend to anyone that does not have a ton of experience with multiple cham species.

Leopard geckos are pretty cool though.

Yeah. Also at school I have daily contact with a panther breeder, and talking to him, he used to have pygmies, mellers, geckos, tarantulas, so I’ll ask him about geckos.

Done more research. Could you please inform me as to what a good Pygmy setup/vivarium looks like? All I have seen is glass...

Done more research. Could you please inform me as to what a good Pygmy setup/vivarium looks like? All I have seen is glass...
I am guessing you are younger.... More research does not really mean an hour of googling online. Most resources you find with an online search is going to give you very inaccurate info. Look through all these threads... These are the ones related to Pygmy set ups.... https://www.chameleonforums.com/forums/pygmy-enclosures.67/

Yes. Sorry, but I didn’t know if it was just something you found on the internet, or your own thing. Thanks for sharing it.

Have you ever been to the chameleonews website? there was once pretty much the mayority of info there was to be found about them. And yes I had brevicaudatus. And I kept them like that as in the link were kept. You have to watch out for overhwating them. it happens easily. Keep the aquarium on the floor,is cooler closest to the floor. mist 3 times a day, light mistings.

You are likely missing some of the key points of the setups. It is not about using a 10gal tank, you can supply ventilation with a fan. Thermostats and hydrometers become more important as the have to be able to control the specs. Breeders can confuse us because often they have a specific room so the parameters are already closer.

So I guess what they go in doesn't matter, it is how it is set up. It will be more than just the tank.

Have you ever been to the chameleonews website? there was once pretty much the mayority of info there was to be found about them. And yes I had brevicaudatus. And I kept them like that as in the link were kept. You have to watch out for overhwating them. it happens easily. Keep the aquarium on the floor,is cooler closest to the floor. mist 3 times a day, light mistings.
You are likely missing some of the key points of the setups. It is not about using a 10gal tank, you can supply ventilation with a fan. Thermostats and hydrometers become more important as the have to be able to control the specs. Breeders can confuse us because often they have a specific room so the parameters are already closer.

So I guess what they go in doesn't matter, it is how it is set up. It will be more than just the tank.

Thanks all, the room in question is in the basement, so it is cooler, and I’ll monitor temps for a while before actually getting chams.

all those are good plants!! pothos and spider plants grow so fast in a few months you'll have to trim them if they are grown right, I was gonna start a thread on keeping montanes but I thought it would just go dead....

They require very light uv due living in othe forest floor. Also no fans. It dries the humidity and creates draft which they don´t like.

Back
Top Bottom