Putting together a care guide

Darc

I work for Petsmart and unfortunately we sell chameleon at our store. I'm trying to put together a list of what someone would need to buy and a bit of a general care guide for new buyers. Petsmart does provide care guides for their animals, but they do not cover enough as far as chameleons go.

So far I've included necessities like having a screen cage, 5.0 UVB tube lighting, misting, basking, supplements, a drip system, egg laying bin (as both the ones we have now are female), gutloading, and keeping handling to a minimum.

I'm sure there are things I'm missing so if you can think of anything really important please feel free to chime in. Also was wondering when a female could start laying eggs.

Thanks!

I would say honestly and I'm sure you've included a lot, but since petsmart tends to only sell veileds in the number it would be significant, PM JannB and see if you can get rights to use her blog... It is probably one of the most significant sources of information on this site... Or even PM Brad and see if it would be allowable to use the sticky thread for General Care of True Chameleons... Those will be the best sources... I plan on doing this with our local petland as well and that was my plan

I would say honestly and I'm sure you've included a lot, but since petsmart tends to only sell veileds in the number it would be significant, PM JannB and see if you can get rights to use her blog... It is probably one of the most significant sources of information on this site... Or even PM Brad and see if it would be allowable to use the sticky thread for General Care of True Chameleons... Those will be the best sources... I plan on doing this with our local petland as well and that was my plan

Great, thanks for the idea. I think I'll do that, because seeing how small those guys were when we got them in yesterday made me scared to see them go to someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

I must say, Petsmart and Petco get a pretty bad rap on here most of the time. I commend you for doing this. A search on here will give you more than enough general and more in depth info you'll need. We live in a crazy world, and I don't know if someone can 'cry plagiarism' for compiling a care sheet for general information that you can find online anyway, but I would ask permisiion before I quoted anyone's posts or blogs. I personally think that it's ludicrous to have to do this, but I guess 'rules are rules'.

Definitely and I love that you thought about doing this... Im currently trying to work with both my local petsmart and petland to do this but my petsmart I guess doesn't get veileds as much (no offense but thank god because they are incompetent at mine for the most part)... But my petland plans on selling both veileds and panthers and maybe even jacksons so Im trying to get word out because I trust nobody honestly... Few people around me seem to have the patience and seeing as how I live in a college town EVERYONE is just high/drunk students who will think "OH HOW COOL, LETS GET IT AND LET IT DIE!!" lol I have a trust issue I think :p

I must say, Petsmart and Petco get a pretty bad rap on here most of the time. I commend you for doing this. A search on here will give you more than enough general and more in depth info you'll need. We live in a crazy world, and I don't know if someone can 'cry plagiarism' for compiling a care sheet for general information that you can find online anyway, but I would ask permisiion before I quoted anyone's posts or blogs. I personally think that it's ludicrous to have to do this, but I guess 'rules are rules'.

Currently studying law :p You would be APPALLED at some of the cases I know... If I were doing it I would go as far as to document the messages where they said it was okay and would cite the works... Just me? lol I like to cover my bases that way nobody can even try... Wee bit skeptical I am

I completely understand. I honestly wish we didn't sell chameleons now that I know how much is needed when it comes to their care, especially with the type of people around here. Most of the people around here want the animal but don't want to spend to get it the proper care it needs. It's sad selling and animal to someone, letting them know what they need to take care of it properly, then seeing it returned to the store dead because they were too cheap to give it everything it needed.

I completely understand. I honestly wish we didn't sell chameleons now that I know how much is needed when it comes to their care, especially with the type of people around here. Most of the people around here want the animal but don't want to spend to get it the proper care it needs. It's sad selling and animal to someone, letting them know what they need to take care of it properly, then seeing it returned to the store dead because they were too cheap to give it everything it needed.

I remember a blog on here by someone i cant remember who but i definitely remember his words "your chameleon only recieves as much as you will give it" it is your pet and will only be handed what you are willing to hand it wish i knew who that was again...

Back
Top Bottom