Purchasing a baby - what age is best?

Cmoore

So, I'm all set up and ready to buy my first veiled chameleon. There are several breeders out there and the babies really range in ages. I found some on the classified ad's here. One breeder has some that are 1 month old and some that are 1.75 months old. I also found some that are 3.5 months old. It seems that 1 to 1.75 month old's is awfully young to endure shipping - but I have no clue. Thoughts anyone?

shipping is really not to bad its the hardiness of the chameleon at the young ages. For newer keepers and even experienced keepers its more challenging as a baby of that size is less forgiving for simple mistakes then a larger/older chameleon can tolerate.

Not saying new keepers arent capable of keeping them but it is probably better to start with a hardier age of 2.5 -3 months at least.
I got my first chameleon around 4 months old. He grew very fast.

Regardless of the age you get what you pay for, a 50.00 chameleon will live about as long as it takes to get it home usually. I am exaggerating but that is to stress a proven point that not all breeders should be breeding. Its ez to get cham;s to mate and sitting in the inucbator is no task either, its rearing healthy cham's to that sellable mark.

That being said I would say the 3month mark is a safe line in the sand and if your buying local which it sounds like since your talking classified ad's, make sure you know what to look for in the cham when you go look at it. scour the forum for pictures of vieleds at that 3month mark and what not. you dont want one thats not eating and dehydrated etc... and you can tell by looking at the cham/picture of the cham if such is the case usually.

The 3.5 month olds are from Chameleons Northwest out of Washington Sate. The younger ones are out of southern CA - a senior member here named Lance Lindgren. (Anyone have dealings with him?) The colors of the Sire on the little guys are just beautiful. What I was really looking to hear is if 1.75 months is too young to be shipped, or if shipping is a huge stress on them. I believe I have a really good set up (except it might be a bit big) and have been reading loads of info. I've taken the time to have everything ready including all vitamins. I know I will be a very good mother :)

Both great places to buy from, I wouldnt be concerned if they say they are ready to ship. Both have great chameleons too.

Back
Top Bottom