Puffing up Opening mouth and Twisting

KingJulian

I currently have a 1.5 year old male Ambilobe panther chameleon. When I see him sometimes he will puff up open his mouth and somewhat twist his body. He does this probably 2-3 times a day if that. Is he yawning? He isnt in full body shed but parts of his body are shedding at the moment like his tail and his legs. Could he be twisting and puffing trying to break the tight old skin loose? (That was my first guess to what the problem is, if its a problem at all) The one thing Im hoping it isnt is a RI, but he doesnt cough or make noises while breathing or hold his head up in the air...none of that. He is also very active in the afternoon, bouncing around his cage like a mad man.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thank you all.

What you are describing is referred to as yawning. I am not completely sure that is what is actually happening, but what you are describing is normal panther chameleon behavior. Both of mine do it a couple of times a day. It is a little startling at first, as it looks weird (mine kind of have a mini-seizure, lol).

Thank you, he will do it sometimes up to 2-3 times in 5-10 minutes. He only seems to do it when im there though. Theres no heavy breathing but he also sometimes tend to almost "lick his lips" a lot. Nobody wants anything bad to happen to their chams, I'm just a concerned dad.

Completely understand the worry.

I am 99% confident (about as confident as I can be without seeing it myself) that what you are describing is what we know as a chameleon yawn and that you have nothing to worry about :D

When I had leopard geckos, some of them would do exactly this to start the shed on their head. They'd wiggle kind of like when they are trying to work down a big prey item they just swallowed, I think snakes do this also.

I think he is going to shed soon. I have noticed this behavior when they are getting close to a shed.

I have a video of him doing it but I try to upload it and it says theres a problem trying to upload it. I talked to a friend who is a breeder and said hes never seen anything like this...I'm somewhat nervous.

What a shame you can't get the video up !! You should take the video you have into any reptile expert and maybe even take your cham to a vet. I know no ones likes to hear "vet" because its an expense but better safe then sorry !!! I all is well and you figure it out, sometimes Cham's do weird things but what's a couple bucks for a piece of mind right ? Good Luck !!!

I love this forum! The puff up, mouth open, body twist once or twice a day is exactly what I was wondering about too! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom