Puffing under chin and body.. about to shed

I am pulling the temp from my thermometer. Right now it is showing 83...
I was just about to take him into the vet but if you say it sounds like shedding behavior, I will wait a day. What is the difference between URI symptoms and shedding behavior? do I have to wait until it’s worse if it is a URI? What should I specifically look for to determine if this is a URI? Again I apologize for being too paranoid. This gives me such anxiety. It’s like I can’t even type this.

just so we’re on the same page, he can have this shedding behavior before he actually starts shedding?

sometimes he will gape his mouth and breathe heavily. every now and then he will add a noise with it.

I moved the light fixture to the middle a little bit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 115
I am pulling the temp from my thermometer. Right now it is showing 83...
I was just about to take him into the vet but if you say it sounds like shedding behavior, I will wait a day. What is the difference between URI symptoms and shedding behavior? do I have to wait until it’s worse if it is a URI? What should I specifically look for to determine if this is a URI? Again I apologize for being too paranoid. This gives me such anxiety. It’s like I can’t even type this.

just so we’re on the same page, he can have this shedding behavior before he actually starts shedding?

sometimes he will gape his mouth and breathe heavily. every now and then he will add a noise with it.

I moved the light fixture to the middle a little bit
Where is the probe though? It should be hooked to the branch directly below the basking fixture to get an accurate reading on the temp at basking.

Okay I feel so horrible right now. You were right. I had to completely change his basking spot to get the temp in the 85 range. It’s reading 87.8. Is this still too hot?

Just to re assure myself. You believe this behavior is from shedding? Even though he’s not even shedding yet. And the noise is normal??

Okay I feel so horrible right now. You were right. I had to completely change his basking spot to get the temp in the 85 range. It’s reading 87.8. Is this still too hot?
Way too hot. If he is only 4 months you want the temp to be 82 max.

Yea this is way to hot. Raise the light above the screen, as babies they like to screen climb and get right under the lights. Basking should be between 80-82. If you put your hand under it for 20 seconds and it hurts you it’s burning him. Did you just get him? If so give him time he’s probably stressed from moving to a new environment. But, yes these are signs of shedding. Sometimes they’ll stop eating before they shed as well.

Just to re assure myself. You believe this behavior is from shedding? Even though he’s not even shedding yet. And the noise is normal??
I have found that each cham is different. one of mine will do a harsh huff when he puffs out while shedding. My other one acts like it is any other day. And my newest does the little huff when he puffs and shedding.

You will not know until you get the temps correct and you see if he has a shed coming on. All of my Veileds stretch puff and yawn first thing in the morning when they are warming up.

Yea this is way to hot. Raise the light above the screen, as babies they like to screen climb and get right under the lights. Basking should be between 80-82. If you put your hand under it for 20 seconds and it hurts you it’s burning him. Did you just get him? If so give him time he’s probably stressed from moving to a new environment. But, yes these are signs of shedding. Sometimes they’ll stop eating before they shed as well.
Yes I did just get him. He has been in my care for 8 days. I am going to petsmart right now to get a clamp for the light to lift it.
y’all have eased my anxiety a tad. I will continue to watch him and if he starts showing other signs of a URI, off to the vet we go. Thank you for the help

Yes I did just get him. He has been in my care for 8 days. I am going to petsmart right now to get a clamp for the light to lift it.
y’all have eased my anxiety a tad. I will continue to watch him and if he starts showing other signs of a URI, off to the vet we go. Thank you for the help
Also! His dad is wild caught.... mayyyyybbbbe he acts like this because of the wild blood he has ??‍♀️
he likes to chomp on my umbrella plant leaves and chew a little on his bamboo

I guess I’m just trying to make myself feel a little better lol

@Beman im sorry again for bothering. I’ve fixed the light. I’m waiting for my probe to cool down and read the temp.

I have noticed he is swallowing over and over a couple times after puffing up a little little bit. I’m sorry to ask again but something just seems off
I apologize for being so paranoid

@Beman im sorry again for bothering. I’ve fixed the light. I’m waiting for my probe to cool down and read the temp.

I have noticed he is swallowing over and over a couple times after puffing up a little little bit. I’m sorry to ask again but something just seems off
This is one of those areas where I say I am not a vet. And all I can tell you is if you are worried then maybe a trip to a reptile vet with cham experience would be a good idea.
To my knowledge with an RI you see like bubbles of saliva in the corners of the mouth, They will point their nose up extending the gular to breath better while gaping, and some even will close their eyes off and on. I have no first hand experience with it though.

If temps were that hot and he was gaping under the light then heat stress could be possible as well.

I wish I could tell you for sure.

This is one of those areas where I say I am not a vet. And all I can tell you is if you are worried then maybe a trip to a reptile vet with cham experience would be a good idea.
To my knowledge with an RI you see like bubbles of saliva in the corners of the mouth, They will point their nose up extending the gular to breath better while gaping, and some even will close their eyes off and on. I have no first hand experience with it though.

If temps were that hot and he was gaping under the light then heat stress could be possible as well.

I wish I could tell you for sure.
Okay thank you for your time and knowledge. I love that y’all are here to help

is it swallowing or him moving his tongue in his mouth?

Back
Top Bottom