PUFF the Magic Dragon has lost his magic

Hannah1966

I need some fast help! I took PUFF to an Exotics vet who examined him for MBD and radiographs showed no broken bones but very calcium depleted bones.

I am quite frightened and even after being a Veterinary nurse for over a decade this is my first chameleon who I rescued and who had been rescued twice before.

However during the exam, we also found that he had an impaction so there was an enema, a lavage, Sub-Q fluids w/ vitamin B, antibiotics for parasites found in the stool, and sent home with EMERAID IC Carnivore diet which I was told to add a pinch of Metamucil to the formula when mixing it 50/50 with water and more antibiotics to be given Sub-Q every 72 hours.

I'm sure there's more but what's mostly important right now is that I was also told that you can give a drop of mineral oil orally to help Lube his GI tract. It is quite possible because of his situation that aspiration may have occurred. I've read that it's impossible to treat but I can't tell if it is happened.

All I know is that even under the best environmental conditions he is severely dehydrated and so is probably impacted again and there is nowhere to turn.

I have LRS and I have insulin needles and I am preparing to give Sub-Q fluids. Please pray for him and for me to make good decisions on the Sub-Q fluids as well as somehow lubricating him from the other end to help if he is impacting again.

I know this is a run-on lengthy post but I have to dictate it because I am holding PUFF and and crying at the same time.

If there's anybody out there that can help me "do no harm", please contact me! Hannah at 843 312 8655

If hes having trouble pooping try a grape cut up in 6-8 pieces depending on size. My veiled didnt poop for 10 days which is weird for her and within the next hour she went. Worth a try. I used green grapes but I dont think the type really matters.

Good luck! My chams and I send our thoughts, prayers, and love!

Thank You... I wish I could report that he is doing wonderful this morning but he is having difficulty breathing and is still very dehydrated even after 6mls of SQ LRS from 12:15-12:50am. His little body is so dehydrated. If it wasn't so stressful for him I would administer more fluids now, but even though we slept in a room that was 85 degrees and about 80% humidity I think that his sweet little body is not strong enough to endure this much longer. Unfortunately we do not have an emergency veterinarian clinic that will euthanize a reptile.I would do it if they would let me but the laws here in South Carolina won't let me let him go so easy.

When I hold him in my hands he closes his little eyes and seems to be at peace and ready to go to heaven. But when I put him down on his warming bottle he just looks up at me with his little eyes and wants to know why I'm not holding him anymore.

We are spending some peaceful time together listening to Vivaldi. My new Bestie's last name is Vivaldi, so it's almost like she's here with me and PUFF.

If hes having trouble pooping try a grape cut up in 6-8 pieces depending on size. My veiled didnt poop for 10 days which is weird for her and within the next hour she went. Worth a try. I used green grapes but I dont think the type really matters.

Again many thanks for your suggestion but he is not a fruity kind of guy even when he is at the top of the health chart.
I don't think I ever saw that part of his life because I'm his 3rd or 4th person to care for him and I had to rescue him from a now non-existant friend.

Dont give up just yet he may turn around. Keep trying but give some time for it to take effect. You freaking out will make him freak out. Keep the humidity high and try giving him a warm shower.

He still has shallow brearh in his lungs, but occasionally he shows agonal breathing, and I pray that G-d will have mercy on us both. I ask that HaShem either heal PUFF's little body, or to hold PUFF in His loving hands.

My military background does not allow me to give up.. my medical background tells me how to triage and when to stop.. my heart tells me to ignore the other two and just let the tears fall where they may.

Back
Top Bottom