Panther chameleon only opening his mouth 10%.

bfoster

Has anyone ever had a problem with a 2.5 year old panther chameleon only being able to open his mouth 10% wide? Fecals are negative for parasites, bloodwork shows anemia, and he wants to eat, but can't, so he's being tube fed emeraid insectivore diet. Blood calcium levels are on the lower end of normal, but radiographs show good bone formation. He's captive bred, and owned since he was a 10 g. hatchling. Diet is gutloaded, dusted crickets, Pheonix worms, Blaberus sp. and Nauphoeta cinerea roaches, superworms, mealworms, and an occasional earthworm. ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 UVB lights, and a 160 W Powersun lamp are used, but may have not provided the UVB he needed since he was moved to a larger enclosure about 6 months ago. The enclosure is 6' tall X 6' long X 3' wide with screen mesh top, live non-toxic plants, fake silk plants and vines, and 0.3 Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis. Live food is offered in containers to avoid soil impaction. A water dripper provides drinking water and humidity. Basking temps around 90F, ambient air temp ranges from 76-85F. He's received antibiotics (ceftazadine, and amakacin), calcium glubionate, and fluids along with tube feeding for three weeks, with no appreciable change in condition other than some weight gain. At his heaviest, he was 207 g., he dropped to as low as 140 g., but is now back up to 185 g. Help?!

I'd take him to an experienced vet that has worked with chameleons to check specifically for mouth rot or any other issues in the mouth. Most likely it's mouth rot or an abscess in the mouth that could be draining into his throat which just like for people makes it hurt and sore.

There was someone on Chameleon Central on FB about a week ago that had the same problem. I will see if I can find the thread.

How do the phelsuma grandis look? It may be a stretch... but maybe they passed something to him?

Back
Top Bottom