New Chameleon owner nervous cause chameleon mouth opened

If the mouth is open it is mostly a sign of stress make sure you aren’t bothering it and leaving it alone it is a defensive sign of a chameleon called gaping

If the mouth is open it is mostly a sign of stress make sure you aren’t bothering it and leaving it alone it is a defensive sign of a chameleon called gaping
Thank you. I am hoping it is that. I appreciate your help. Would there be any signs in addition to the gaping if it was a respiratory infection?

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it very much. Would there be any other signs if he does have a respiratory infection or just mouth open? Thank you again for your detailed response.
So my concern honestly is an RI presents very subtly... Tends to be gaping here and there without other visual cues. Then further leading to nose pointed up to elongate the trachea trying to get air. This further progresses to seeing saliva eyes can start to sink in etc... Decreased appetite goes with this as well.

The issue is if not caught at the beginning they are much too far gone typically when the other visual signs appear.

You fog during the day which is a big no no and risk for this developing. Stress can help progress an RI. If something is not right in their husbandry.

While others are saying don't worry about it please do not take this lightly. We all have different levels of experience and some commenting are brand new to the forum. Start looking for a reptile vet at least.

Your cues are different for each type of Gaping... Often with a defensive gape you get them raising the arm in a karate chop. It is very clear that they gape because they see you... If you walk in the room and he is doing it without seeing you then it then goes to is it temperatures or is it an RI>... Your temps at basking are perfect. So now we move to RI risk... In the one pic he is huddled up against the screen not basking and he is gaping. If it was temp related they will gape while basking and often close their mouth when you walk up.

Here is more info on it. Good luck to you.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-medical-respiratory-infection/

So my concern honestly is an RI presents very subtly... Tends to be gaping here and there without other visual cues. Then further leading to nose pointed up to elongate the trachea trying to get air. This further progresses to seeing saliva eyes can start to sink in etc... Decreased appetite goes with this as well.

The issue is if not caught at the beginning they are much too far gone typically when the other visual signs appear.

You fog during the day which is a big no no and risk for this developing. Stress can help progress an RI. If something is not right in their husbandry.

While others are saying don't worry about it please do not take this lightly. We all have different levels of experience and some commenting are brand new to the forum. Start looking for a reptile vet at least.

Your cues are different for each type of Gaping... Often with a defensive gape you get them raising the arm in a karate chop. It is very clear that they gape because they see you... If you walk in the room and he is doing it without seeing you then it then goes to is it temperatures or is it an RI>... Your temps at basking are perfect. So now we move to RI risk... In the one pic he is huddled up against the screen not basking and he is gaping. If it was temp related they will gape while basking and often close their mouth when you walk up.

Here is more info on it. Good luck to you.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-medical-respiratory-infection/
Can I ask you one more question since you seem very knowledgeable and have been so helpful? I turn his lights on at around 7am everyday and off at 7 pm every night. Recently, he stated going to his sleep spot (not going to sleep. His eyes are wide open and he is just sitting there looking around) at 4 pm. Is this a sign of distress? Or is this normal? Again he is awake not asleep. He does not close his eyes until maybe 530 or 6. Like an hour before bed. Sometimes even at 7pm. Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Can I ask you one more question since you seem very knowledgeable and have been so helpful? I turn his lights on at around 7am everyday and off at 7 pm every night. Recently, he stated going to his sleep spot (not going to sleep. His eyes are wide open and he is just sitting there looking around) at 4 pm. Is this a sign of distress? Or is this normal? Again he is awake not asleep. He does not close his eyes until maybe 530 or 6. Like an hour before bed. Sometimes even at 7pm. Thank you so much in advance for your help.
You will find that it may or may not be normal. So a few things can impact this. The natural change in sunrise and sunset... So if you have the cage in a room where the room is actually light at 6am so he is waking up prior to lights actually being kicked on. Most experienced keepers will alter their lights on and off times for winter months vs summer months.

Or if he is in a room where your turning lights in the room on and off after 7pm. This disrupts sleep and can cause stress and going to sleep earlier then normal. If his cage is in a living room Not using overhead lighting and using a blackout curtain around the outside of the cage while you are still up can help. Make sure the top of the cage is not covered though and make sure to remove the curtain when you go to be for air circulation.

You will find most will start to tuck themselves in a 1-2 hours prior. Now all three of my boys do this but none close their eyes until lights are out and the room is dark. I do not turn on any lights in the room while they are in their lights off cycle.

So figure out what is off if something that I have said stands out and then just make the adjustment. :)

Thank you so much! You were such a great help! I really appreciate all of your thorough replies. Happy Holidays! 😀

Thank you so much. I really appreciate you saying that. I actually have an even better one from that same night. I think he looks beautiful in this pic. Thank you again! Have a great holiday 😀 ps I will no longer take night pics though because I found out it's not good for him.

Also just to update everyone. He has not gaped today. Thank you to everyone for your help with my Cham. I am very happy to be a part of this community and very happy I joined!
3F31AC23-09F5-4648-8770-984890025D23.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom