Public Note Of Caution: North American Heatwave

After a very long week of 10 hour work days and days reaching around the 40 Degrees Celsius mark (~105 Fahrenheit) here in Ontario, Canada, I felt it necessary to make this post regarding the current temperatures. It is more directed towards the people living in North America, however only because I am not aware of the current weather in other areas of the world. Here we are now, half way through the summer of 2006 and Temperatures around North America have been breaking records for highest heat and longest heatwaves, with some areas reaching almost 130F.

This is a serious dilemma that affects both YOU and your CHAMELEONS. Heat can be a killer, and so can the other problems it brings such as dehydration & poor air quality. Extreme heat can involve dehydration, great tiredness, headaches, nausea's and dizzy spells. It can also worsen the condition of already sick people to the point of death.

• Drink plenty of fluids, preferably water, to keep hydrated. Avoid alcohol, carbonated soft drinks, tea and coffee as these can dehydrate you.
  • Keep out of the sun between 11.00 and 15.00 - the hottest part of the day, when the sun's rays are strongest. If you're outside seek shade.
  • Try not to over-exert yourself. Avoid any strenuous activity such as exercise and DIY - or do them when the day is coolest, eg. early morning or late evening.
  • Wear loose fitting, breathable clothing and a hat if possible.
  • Take cool showers and regularly splash your face with water to keep your body temperature down.
  • Pay special attention to those most at risk, namely elderly people and small children. Ensure that they're comfortable and staying out of the sun as much as possible.
  • Ensure pets have a constant supply of fresh water, don't let them outside for long periods and never leave them in a car.
  • Finally wear plenty of sunscreen, the higher factor the better. Ask your pharmacist about the best protection for your skin type.
  • Avoid heavy protein foods (eg. meat, dairy products, etc) which raise body heat and increase fluid loss.
  • Do not take salt tablets unless prescribed by a doctor.

If you are a younger person, and are feeling less problems with the heat, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to lookout and care for others who are not coping as well as you with the heat. If you are out and aboot and you see someone who is not looking so well, do the right thing and find a convenience store to buy them some water or a healthy electrolyte beverage. It can mean the difference between life and deaf for them. This is your chance to stand up and be a helping hand.

As for your chameleons... I suggest all of you get your digital thermometers and start verifying your temperatures in the ambient and basking areas. You should be augmenting the water offerings, especially if you are keeping your chameleons outdoors. Use shade blankets on the cages for chameleons staying outside. For the others reading this, please add more tips on chameleon care in the heat.

Will Hayward,
:D Your friendly neighborhoodloom.

Oh, yeah.. tell me now! I just got home from a day rafting trip in 100+ degree weather. I forgot sunscreen. Normally, I don't burn, but today I did!

Heika

So whats your point? "I was in the highest heat exerting much energy and putting myself in danger" No offence, but your post is completly disregarding the intent of this thread.

Pace yourself- hardly something you can do while playing competitive baball.

Stay safe everyone. Have a cool and pleasant weekend.

Last edited:
westcoastchameleons said:
i was playing a competitive basketball game last weekend in an indoor gym with no air conditioning and it was 122 degrees!
but you didnt have to play in 2 straight games:)

Yeah the heat wave is pretty nasty. It was even worse last week here in Upstate NY. We only have one airconditioned room so everything delicate like the chams, some insects and fermenting beer stay in there during weather like this. It's a nice 63-65 in there :)

This is why I always reccomened to people, that if they are keeping their chameleons outside on a regular basis, to ALWAYS keep one cage per animal inside at all times. Even when I had my veileds outside 24/7 in the spring and summer, I had their furnished cages ready indoors, just inc ase I had to bring them in for extremes in temperatures.

I have noticed here in So cal, that I have had to lower my basking bulb to 40W. It is 80 ambient temp in there and the 40w keeps basking about 95. I was using a 75W. earlyer. We dont have AC because we live near the coast. But I have been looking into getting a room AC unit for my room and my cham.

Frank

Outdoors it is currently wavering between 105-110F here in Southern Ontario Canada. BEFORE the Humidifactor!

I'm writting from work right now (a warehouse) and some of the truck drivers that come in dont have AC in their cabs. They pretty much look ready to puke or collapse- so we make sure to send them into the office where there is A/C (lucky office bums!).

If its 110+ here above the border, Id hate to be a few hundred kms south.

Stay cool cats.

Will Hayward said:
Outdoors it is currently wavering between 105-110F here in Southern Ontario Canada. BEFORE the Humidifactor!

I'm writting from work right now (a warehouse) and some of the truck drivers that come in dont have AC in their cabs. They pretty much look ready to puke or collapse- so we make sure to send them into the office where there is A/C (lucky office bums!).

If its 110+ here above the border, Id hate to be a few hundred kms south.

Stay cool cats.
it's weird...im only a few hours from you ...just north of detroit and it only 97

I am very relieved that as of today our heatwave in England seems a distant memory. We had the hottest July on record here and we are not equipped for extremes of temperature in England. Most people do not have air conditioning in their cars and houses. I am lucky in that I work in an air conditioned office. During the worst of the heatwave I turned all heat bulbs off at 10 am each morning and left them off until approx 8.30 am the next day. Even though England is not nearly as hot as USA I have noticed that people lose most of their chameleons during the hottest weather. I have noticed that my elderly chameleons - those not in the greatest health - usually die in the summer. I hate boiling hot weather, I think of it as the devil's weather, similar to the flames of hell.

Last edited:
;) I live out in ellensburg, Washington USA and it is hot over here. Usually right around 100+.
We have a solution for the heat though. Find a river. Find a innertube. Float... It works everytime.....;) :D

emersonc said:
;) I live out in ellensburg, Washington USA and it is hot over here. Usually right around 100+.
We have a solution for the heat though. Find a river. Find a innertube. Float... It works everytime.....;) :D

Elensburg can be very hot, I hunted Elk there as a kid in the fall and it was still up in the 90's

Frank

ChameleonsTree said:
it's weird...im only a few hours from you ...just north of detroit and it only 97
It depends on many other factors than just latitude. Industial cities will be hotter. And we are fairly high up in altitude with the great lakes surronding the large inner area- creates a pocket of heat.

Will Hayward said:
It depends on many other factors than just latitude. Industial cities will be hotter. And we are fairly high up in altitude with the great lakes surronding the large inner area- creates a pocket of heat.

Being that close to the great lakes also creates a micro climate from the large bodys of water near you. Which will make it some what cooler than surrounding areas.

Frank

can the veileds live through a heatwave provided they are healthy? as i live in Pennsylavania and theres a heatwave now.

there is no air conditioner in their room i am running a box fan in the window and a iscolating fan in the room and running a cool mist every hr half at night?

Fate X said:
can the veileds live through a heatwave provided they are healthy? as i live in Pennsylavania and theres a heatwave now.

there is no air conditioner in their room i am running a box fan in the window and a iscolating fan in the room and running a cool mist every hr half at night?

Veileds are a very hearty species. Veileds can tolerate short term extremes. You should be fine for a couple of days to a week. Just keep them hydrated and they should make it through it.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom