Pseudomonas aeruginosa....bacteria most common in many chameleon infections.

kinyonga

Chameleon Queen
Pseudomonas aeruginosa is one of the most common bacteria involved in chameleon infections....especially stomatitis, for example....and it's so hard to get rid of. Why is it so hard get rid of?

Here is some information on P. Aeruginosa...

This one is really amazing...pseudomonas aeruginosa, when attacked "turns on" to fight against its attackers...including the antibiotics in some cases...

Last edited:
Forgot to mention...although indefinitely don't recommend that you try sniffing it...Pseudomonas aeruginosa has a characteristic sweet, fruity, grape like odour because of its production of trimethylamine. It also produces the greenish-blue pigment pyocyanin.

Thanks for sharing! This is awesome. I didn't know p. aeruginosa was known to be a species common in chameleon infections. Do you have a source detailing a breakdown of which bacterial species are most common in chameleon infections? This would be super interesting information! Covered to a degree in the above videos, but P. aeruginosa is a nasty one in humans too, nobody wants that sucker. Gives bad ear infections among a whole lot else.

I mostly only know the bacteria from my experience with chameleons...but pseudomonas was one of the ones that almost always was involved. We were always careful when a chameleon had it. Some of the others humans could get as well..but there are many that are also species specific.

If I find anything about the common ones in chameleons, I'll definitely post. I can tell you that many times, there is more than one bacteria involved.

My old records are packed away...so I can't be more specific right now.

Here are some of the bacteria I remember off the top of my head...can't remember the specific species though...
Morganella
Neisseria
Klebsiella
Proteus
Aeromonas
E. Coli.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention...although indefinitely don't recommend that you try sniffing it...Pseudomonas aeruginosa has a characteristic sweet, fruity, grape like odour because of its production of trimethylamine. It also produces the greenish-blue pigment pyocyanin.
I learned that odor many years ago while doing wound care and it is unmistakable. 🤢

Back
Top Bottom