Protein

froggielog

Established Member
Oliver is slowing recovering from a skin infection, that is almost completely healed up. (https://www.chameleonforums.com/day-8-a-132035/)

However he is still on baytril and his appetite is basically nothing. He has had normal poop up until yesterday at the vet, he had almost explosive runny poop. I expected this since all he has had is liquified bugs and water for the past few weeks. The vet suggested chicken to be mixed in with his bug juice to give some solids back into his diet. (as I was told from my mom)

I wasn't at the vet when this was suggested, I was at vet camp at texas A&M and I haven't confirmed if the chicken is only for adding solids or if he really needs protein.

I don't really want to give him chicken, because baytril is already hard enough on the kidneys, I don't think more protein is good either.

I want to trust this vet, but she isn't a reptile vet but she's the best I've got around. Any help?:(

If it is just to make it chunky-er, I just won't blend the bugs up as much, right?

Im going to call her tomorrow and see, but I figured I would throw it up here too.

I know that chicken is used with sick bearded dragons often. Although, it is not for the sake of getting solids in them but for the protein as you suggested. I have used organic chicken baby food for sick bearded dragons several times to nurse them back to health after being treated for parasites and losing their appetite.

Okay so I just got off the phone with her and she is recommending chicken baby food for protein and calorie intake. Should I still be concerned about his kidneys?

I wouldn't be too concerned about the effect of the chicken on the kidney's as long as it is short term. Any time we have to force feed our chams, the idea is for it to be a short term solution to get them strong and eating on their own again.

Alternatively, you could always continue to puree your bugs, however, I would add some things that are commonly used in the gutload as well. A few things you could add that will also provide protein are almonds and flax seeds. Also raw vegetable protein, you can get it in a dry form from health food stores. Just grind them up as fine as you can and then mix them up with your bugs to make a paste the consistency you want.

This would allow you to get the protein you want into your cham without the concern of giving too much animal protein.

Good luck with your little one, and I hope he starts feeling better soon!

As soon as the skin infection is healed, I would be getting him off the Baytril. I have had sick chameleons before but never had a vet recommend chicken. My vet has recommend the Repta-Boost before to get them boosted back up to eat on their own again.

I've already given him a little bit of the chicken baby food but I want to try the repta boost. Is it this? http://m.petco.com/product/117291/Flukers-ReptaBoost-Insectavore-And-Carnivore-High-Amp-Boost.aspx

Do you think it would better to switch off days from normal big juice to days with the repta boost?

I really wish I had a good herp vet near me. She tried to keep him "under observation". When my parents told me I flipped out because she had him in the normal plexiglass cages for a dog, on a heating pad with a bowl of water. He had been there only a few hours when my parents finally called me at camp for an update. After I explained you never leave him in that set up they brought him home and other than super dehydrated he was okay.

Yes, that's it. My vet had me give it three days in a row and then see if it gave them energy to eat on their own but with one of my old guys, I gave it several times a week for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom