Protein-rich maggots could revolutionize the global food supply

Anyone who puts ketchup or A1 on a steak should be hung. I know that has nothing to do with the current conversation but I just wanted to put that out there. Hung.
Flogged first then hung. Justice must be served... with salt and pepper or a dry rub or perhaps a marinade!
Yall are harsh. Sorry but I just throw my steaks on the grill add some seasoning and dip in A1. I'm an American taxpayer OK!?!?

Anyone who puts ketchup or A1 on a steak should be hung. I know that has nothing to do with the current conversation but I just wanted to put that out there. Hung.

Those same people are usually the ones that eat black and grey steak that is hard as a rock. Double Hung.

It needs to be read and resemble a Lung!

I just made a rythme jee that was fun.

Yall are harsh. Sorry but I just throw my steaks on the grill add some seasoning and dip in A1. I'm an American taxpayer OK!?!?

The grill is fine. 2 mins on each side, no A1 nesscary.

It's already got enough liquid all the blood dripping out YUMMM! I use to as a kid think it was gross, the red dripping out of my Grandpa's prime rib. Had rare prime rib first time at 22. Boy what I had been missing!

I prefer mine with fur still on it.
Me too!

It limits are restraunt choices though. Most of the restruants in our town refuse to server it extremely rare, and I refuse to eat it if it isn't Red inside.

At home I am usually too lazy to grill, so I just throw it on the cast iron for 2 mins each side. Browned outside, Red inside, dripping red juice, Perfect.

Last time i checked, "bugs" are $20-40 per pound. Not bug meat, just the bugs. And bugs are less than 10% protein by weight.

An acre of land used to raise soldier fly colonies can produce more than 130,000 pounds of protein per year, according to various peer-reviewed estimates. That’s several orders of magnitude greater than the per-acre protein yield of cattle (about 40 pounds), soybeans (950 pounds) or chickens (1,800 pounds)

There is no way that "bug meat" will be 100 times cheaper than chicken breast, When chicken is $2-3 per pound, and bugs are $20-40 per pound, today.

If bugs (not bug meat) ever got to 2-3 bucks a pound, your 1000 count box of crickets would cost a buck at the store, if you "bring your own box" :)

In regard to feeding them to our reptiles, is this news, old hat or just false?

The soldier fly solves that problem. Tomberlin’s adviser, Sheppard, discovered they are extremely high in calcium — 50 times more per gram than mealworms and crickets.

They are a very good feeder in that regard. I feed them once or twice weekly as larvae and the ones that pupate I feed off when they turn to flies.

Note: I do not put ketchup or A1 on my steaks that I order very rare. I do occasionally have them with sautéed mushrooms.

In regard to feeding them to our reptiles, is this news, old hat or just false?

The soldier fly solves that problem. Tomberlin’s adviser, Sheppard, discovered they are extremely high in calcium — 50 times more per gram than mealworms and crickets.

https://thewormlady.ca/exotic-pet-nutritional-info.php
https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...inke/bbffd57e636b0669ae0f60e560d282526631b6d6

They have a very good calcuim/phosphorous ratio

Remember they where/are marketed as "reptiworms" which are just BSF with a special gut load.

calcium
169 g per kg of meal worm
9300g per kg of BSF

thats about 55 times :)

Back
Top Bottom