Protein-rich maggots could revolutionize the global food supply

We are actually talking about just that in another thread.

However it would have to be a 3, feeder approach. Snail's, Reptiworms, and Isopods. A snail a week I think would completely replace dusting and then some. There shell is 97% calcium.

We have study's, Chams do eat snail's in the wild. It's a part of their natural Diet, and obviously nothing wild is dusted.

Yes, some great info being deduced in both threads! Amazing how much we don't know what we don't know :oops:

I think the idea of replacing dusting is a highly ambitious plan. I would consider reducing dusting a more reasonable plan. MBD is not something to be toyed with. If you do decide to do this I would urge caution. What we don't know can easily bite us in the a**.

Well if it's done, it will be on a constantly checked basis. However the flip side is also true. We have threads going back to 2006 of Dusting killing Chams. And even the care sheets, of dusting with d3 2 times a month, there is posts of this killing Chams.

Dusting is unnatural and dangerous in and of itself. Chameleons are not designed to receive D3 like that, ect. We are supplementing against the natural way. That's the same speel the Vitaworms guy gave but still.

I don't know if this has changed, but earlier posts I seen today on the forums here, Brad and Kingoya only gave a MV with a small amount of D3 once a every 4-6 weeks. Now we give it biweekly, but people were then too, and told not too.

The same with glass, I remember this time last year or so, Glass was the devil and Bio is horrid, but we can go back in time to 2009, and people were saying Bio was the best way. We seem to be going backwards more than forwards as a whole.

I'm not saying we should quit dusting, or that we shouldn't. I am saying, we need to explore this and advance, not fall backwards into old fallacy's like glass is the devil and Bio will give you parasites. There is so many species we have not had luck with, so something is obviously wrong.

Well if it's done, it will be on a constantly checked basis. However the flip side is also true. We have threads going back to 2006 of Dusting killing Chams. And even the care sheets, of dusting with d3 2 times a month, there is posts of this killing Chams.

Dusting is unnatural and dangerous in and of itself. Chameleons are not designed to receive D3 like that, ect. We are supplementing against the natural way. That's the same speel the Vitaworms guy gave but still.

I don't know if this has changed, but earlier posts I seen today on the forums here, Brad and Kingoya only gave a MV with a small amount of D3 once a every 4-6 weeks. Now we give it biweekly, but people were then too, and told not too.

The same with glass, I remember this time last year or so, Glass was the devil and Bio is horrid, but we can go back in time to 2009, and people were saying Bio was the best way. We seem to be going backwards more than forwards as a whole.
I only dust with D3 once every 3 weeks. But my boys get 2 to 3 30min intervals of outside time a week. I agree though ttoo much D3 kills as much as too little.

I agree with much of what you are saying. I've mulling over some things on D3 lately. I think we may be over using it in many cases. I don't think it should be abandoned entirely but it could use some rethinking.
I just don't believe this is an entry level exercise and I don't want people going off half cocked.
If you have a good grasp of lighting or use outdoor light, you understand the nutritional components of your feeders and have the experience to spot subtle chammies in attitude or behavior it is doable but not every one is at that level.

So what is the inherent danger in dusting correctly? Are we trying to change and do things more naturally, just for the sake of it? How is ground calcium carbonate any different than a calcium carbonate shell? I feel this is something that could easily go badly in the wrong hands(replacing dusting entirely) and I'm not sure if there's much to gain from it.

Maybe I'm missing something? I humbly bring up these things, not acting like i know better than any of you, just my thoughts about it.

Back
Top Bottom