Prolapsed rectum?

Jtpalm1

just noticed today that my chameleon has this prolapse problem, i only saw it once and it retracted very shortly after i saw it. called a vet, they said keep an eye on it. I have been feeding him larger crickets because he was destroying the small ones, and did not know this problem would occur. I will be feeding him smaller crickets from now on and they will be well dusted with calcium powder. i feel like i may have been slightly over feeding him. he is beautiful and i would hate to loose him. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i read a thread that asked to describe the conditions my chameleon is under so...

I have a 6 month old red panther named Diablo (which is fitting because he doesnt like to be handled). he will eat about 5-7 crickets a day from what i have notice and i dust the crickets with rep-cal phosphorus free calcium with vit.d3.
I spray him about 3 times a day very well. have him in an enclosure with an open face. have an umbrella tree in there for him as well. a 100w zoo-med Powersun uv, and he usually gets about 15 hrs a day under it. fecal matter seems to be ok, and by ok i mean same as it has been. in the last one tho i did see a small amount of white "something" with it, though it seemed to fall out without much of a problem. and i watched him do that right before i posted this and did not see the problem occur again... Hope this is enough info, if not i am glad to give more.

I should also add, i moved him from a smaller cage into a bigger one yesterday. not sure if the moves and noise from "construction" had anything to do with it. He WAS NOT anywhere near the noise, we had removed him from the area and secluded him to reduce stress as we moved everything around. though im sure he heard some stuff from the other room, i dont think it was that bad though. just not sure if the transition had something to do with the problem. this is my first chameleon, and im rather nervous which seems to be fitting from what i have read. happened over an hour ago and i have kept a close eye on him and it has not happened again that i have noticed.

As well, is there a distinct difference between the prostate prolapse and the hemipenes? i've tried to find pictures to refer to, but none seem to have a difinitive answer. Thank you again in advance..

First the chameleons will do this a lot. A quick in and out is ok, and normal, the only time to worry is if it stays out.

The move should not be a problem, give him some time to get settled. Chams react to anything that changes in there environment. You just need to give them their space, and let them do what they do.

cool. thats relieving. i will keep the thread posted on his condition if it reoccurs. thanks again.

The white something you speak of was probably a sperm plug which the males will release on occasion when they poop or just by themselves. If it is not the white urate you are talking about, then this is most likely what it is.

it was a small amount in comparison to his feces, seemed to be a bit thinner in consistency.

i have checked pictures and it looked like a "sperm plug". ty

Back
Top Bottom