Prolapsed Anus Emergency

shrimpmane

My panther chameleon ate a coconut bark chip 5 days ago (which is all removed now) and had a bloody stool. Now he has a bloody prolapsed anus and I am freaking out. All the vets are closed for 12 more hours. I will take him as soon as they open. I have him in a 5 gallon bucket with moist paper towels. I'm on my way to the store to buy vasalive or ky jelly to put on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. PS I didn't take a picture because I don't want to disturb him at all.

Last edited:
My panther chameleon ate a coconut bark chip 5 days ago (which is all removed now) and had a bloody stool. Now he has a bloody prolapsed anus and I am freaking out. All the vets are closed for 12 more hours. I will take him as soon as they open. I have him in a 5 gallon bucket with moist paper towels. I'm on my way to the store to buy vasalive or ky jelly to put on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. PS I didn't take a picture because I don't want to disturb him at all.
Ky jelly without any of the sensation stuff... You want the regular old fashioned kind. No vasaline. I will tag in others to give you feedback as well. I know there is a method of keeping it moist with sugar water as well but I am not familiar with this exactly. @kinyonga @JacksJill @Mawtyplant

A prolapse is considered an emergency. I assume you haven't talked to a vet...just looked at their sites?
Until you can get to the vet you need to keep the prolapsed tissue moist so it not become necrotic (dead) with the plain ordinary KY jelly. To help with the swelling, before you put the KY jelly on it you can try to shrink the tissue down by woaking it in a sugar water solution. Do you think the is still some coconut bark insid your chameleon or has he pooped it out?

A prolapse is considered an emergency. I assume you haven't talked to a vet...just looked at their sites?
Until you can get to the vet you need to keep the prolapsed tissue moist so it not become necrotic (dead) with the plain ordinary KY jelly. To help with the swelling, before you put the KY jelly on it you can try to shrink the tissue down by woaking it in a sugar water solution. Do you think the is still some coconut bark insid your chameleon or has he pooped it out?
I thought it was all out but now I'm not so sure. I'm taking him to the vet as soon as they open in the morning. They were already closed when I noticed this. It's about 10 hours until they open. I will add some sugar to the bucket thanks.

You said..."I will add some sugar to the bucket thanks"...bucket? You mean butt?
You need to make a water/sugar SOLUTION and soak the tissue that's sticking out of his butt with it.

You said..."I will add some sugar to the bucket thanks"...bucket? You mean butt?
You need to make a water/sugar SOLUTION and soak the tissue that's sticking out of his butt with it.
He's in a bucket with wet paper towels. I added some sugar water solution to the bucket.

Let us know what happens.

Please.
The emergency vet said it's his hemi penis and was going to charge me 620 usd to remove it. I don't think I can justify paying over $600 and him not guaranteed to live. I'm now on my way to another exotic vet because it's cheaper. So much for breeding but now I just want him to live. I will update. Thanks for caring.

Last edited:
Turns out it was his anus/intestinal tract. The vet got it back in and stitched him up. He said some of the tissue had necrosis. I've got antibiotics for him for the next two weeks. The vet said not to feed him for two days. I really hope he pulls through I feel horrible for the little guy.

Back
Top Bottom