Prolapse

mybeloved Cosmo

Hi all!..2 days ago I lost my Cosmo to a Prolapse. We did everything we could to try and save him. I know our Chameleons love Horn Worms, but please try and give your Chameleon small ones. Our Cosmo, we believe, had a hard time digesting this worm and when trying to poop, they think he pushed to hard and caused the Prolapse. He was everything to me and my family. I read all kinds of information about putting warm water with salt or sugar and letting him soak in it. The minute it becomes a bit of bubble, most times it is too late. We only got 2 years with him but they were the best. He loved to lay on window sill and catch the sun, sit with us and explore our plants. I feel I need a new baby and will know what not to do this time. He was very loved and is missed deeply. Just thought I would post about the Horn Worms...nice treat, but could cause problems depending the size. Cosmo is pictured by name.

Sorry for your loss. It's not easy losing one.

Are you sure it was the work that caused the problem? You said he laid on the window sill...domyou have a photo of him doing this?

I find it difficult to believe it was the hornworm that caused this. :( So sorry for your loss!

@mybeloved Cosmo I am very sorry. It is so hard to lose a young animal you love.

I doubt a hornworm would cause any kind of a problem.

There are many reasons for a prolapse and different parts of them can prolapse.. Low calcium levels, vitamin deficiencies, constipation, parasites, an intestinal blockage. There are lots and lots of reasons for a prolapse.

Again, I am very sorry you lost your Cosmos.

The worm to me was quite big and he had it Saturday...on Sunday I found half if under the plant he liked to sit in. He hadn't had a poop since Friday, so I am not sure. He was so well taken care of and no problems until Monday night. He got plenty of calcium, proper light and heat. I thought posting this would confirm what I think happened. Maybe it wasn't the Horn worm but it was quite big..maybe my fault??? My house is so quiet believe it or not without him. I can't even sit in the living room as he liked to hang out there too. Not sure how to get over this. People tell me to get another but don't think I can handle if something bad happened so soon. 2 years to me is too young for them to get sick. Thank you all :)

Sorry for your loss. I know how troubling a sudden loss can be. I don't know if this will help you or not, but the chameleon breeder podcast just put out an episode on how to greive your chameleon. In my heart, I don't believe animals simply cease to exist when they pass. I believe we are reunited with ALL of our loved ones when we pass. Maybe you'll get to see him again someday.

Thank you so much. That thread was helpful. Going out tomorrow to look at new Chameleon I really need to fill my void. :) thanks again

Back
Top Bottom