problem with my panther, please help

lyricalmiracle

i went up to spray him 3/4 hours ago, all seemed the same as it has been for the last few days (he's 3.5 months old). then i go up just now to spray and he's on the mesh at the top right underneathe the basking bulb (hasn't been up there before), about every 30-40 seconds he would open his mouth slightly and what looked like him gaggin, for about 1 second, then back to normal just looking at me and looking around. but he did it a few times, then one time he literally threw up a brown blob of mush with a cricket head in the middle of it.

now he's still at the top, and it seems that he's holding his breath, then he'll take in 4 or 5 quick breaths and hold his breath again, then 4 or 5 quick breaths and so on.

should i be rushing him to the vet?

I would turn off the basking light. My first notion is that he is overheated. They sometimes don't have enough sense to move. Be sure to mist him well and give him water to drink.

I would turn off the basking light. My first notion is that he is overheated. They sometimes don't have enough sense to move. Be sure to mist him well and give him water to drink.

Sounds like he is doing what a lot of babies do. What is your basking temp? Also how many watt is the bulb.

For my babies I usually only use a 40W bulb to keep it in the low 80's.

Just like Jan said they don't always know when to move.

what would be the first signs of a RI?

he isn't gaping but i've seen him open his mouth to let a tiny pop come out a few times in the last 10 minutes

i had my bearded dragon throw up the exact thing. i mean if you worried i would take him to the vet better be safe than sorry. with my dragon all i think it was was a bad cricket but you might want to take him to the vet to make sure

Do you see any mucus in his mouth?

mouth looks normal, no mucus (other than throwing up earlier) the popping only started after the throw up

he is now sitting with his head held up really high, tilted back (not on the mesh at the top any more but under the basking lamp) he also did a poop which looks normal

Last edited:
mouth looks normal, no mucus (other than throwing up earlier) the popping only started after the throw up

Sounds like a feeder went down wrong. I would keep an eye on him and if he doesn't stop after a couple of hours you may want to consider a vet visit.

Recently one of my guys snatched up a Roach the size of his head and had some problems getting it down. How big are the crickets you are feeding?

One thing I always make sure to do is measure the temps right under the bulb-if your temps are 85-90 in the basking spot, they could be 100+ on the mesh-I usually raise the basking lamps up for mesh huggers.

One thing I always make sure to do is measure the temps right under the bulb-if your temps are 85-90 in the basking spot, they could be 100+ on the mesh-I usually raise the basking lamps up for mesh huggers.

yeah, the probe for my thermometer is directly under the bulb at the highest point and the bulb itself is about 5/6 inches above the mesh. its the first time he's been up there though

he is now sitting with his head held up really high, tilted back (not on the mesh at the top any more but under the basking lamp) he also did a poop which looks normal

The head tilted back is what they do when they are trying to get food / water down.

He pooped thats good. He is still acting normal inspte of the swalling problem.

Sorry my english is not good, but I wonder what temperature of water you spray on him?

Having him basking for a while, I believe his body temperature is already reach 80+, thus if you spray him with water with rather low in temperature, those holding breath reaction is what I normally seen and is not really recommended though. They can easily get sick with this sudden change of body temp as I recall how I failed with my first M. Jackson.......IMO

Sorry my english is not good, but I wonder what temperature of water you spray on him?

Having him basking for a while, I believe his body temperature is already reach 80+, thus if you spray him with water with rather low in temperature, those holding breath reaction is what I normally seen and is not really recommended though. They can easily get sick with this sudden change of body temp as I recall how I failed with my first M. Jackson.......IMO

i use warm water and never spray directly onto him

Sounded like an RI put then there is not mucos . . but it can be that start of RI. You should call the vet n ask a couple around before taking him 2 ur regular see whats everyones opion on it. But its hard to tell from whats happening just keep an eye on him. hopefully it was just to much n when in the wrong pipe. .

Its just my feeling...but I think he is in trouble with the head tilted up like that I would get him to the vets ASAP.

Its just my feeling...but I think he is in trouble with the head tilted up like that I would get him to the vets ASAP.

I don't think he is still holding his head up. lyricalmiracle could you confirm that. you said he was normal except for the occasional pop.

How is he doing now?

EDIT : I would agree if he is not doing any better it has been long enough and a vet should at least be consulted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom