Problem or Paranoia?

IMG_4231.JPG.jpeg
IMG_4232.JPG.jpeg
IMG_4233.JPG.jpeg

I have a male panther, Charlie. I could be paranoid and everything could be fine (lets hope) but do his legs look average or MBD?
I also have another male panther (charlie's son) who give the same care and attention. They both have a very similar enclosure set up, lighting, misting, supplements, y'know the works. Charlies' son looks very healthy (took him to the vet recently bc he jumped and landed on concrete when moving him from his outside enclosure to his inside one).
Anyways the photos I will be attaching are of Charlie's hind legs, sometimes he will let them dangle off the branch when he lies on it.
I use Rep-cal Calcium 0%D3 3 times a week
I also use Repashy Calcium plus LoD 3 times a month.
I use Reptisun 10.0 UVB lights (the long thin ones)

I obviously am very knew and uneducated in the world of chameleons, but based on my recent research one of the signs to look for is clumsiness.
Is he clumsy when he walks across his branches or anything or is it just him hanging his legs down when he lays on the branch? I also read to look for "belly hugging" when they walk like instead of extending out their legs and holding their body up when they walk. Again - I am very knew to all of this and my chameleon is sick, with what I think is MBD, so I don't know if I'm 100% right it's just what I've read so far.

I obviously am very knew and uneducated in the world of chameleons, but based on my recent research one of the signs to look for is clumsiness.
Is he clumsy when he walks across his branches or anything or is it just him hanging his legs down when he lays on the branch? I also read to look for "belly hugging" when they walk like instead of extending out their legs and holding their body up when they walk. Again - I am very knew to all of this and my chameleon is sick, with what I think is MBD, so I don't know if I'm 100% right it's just what I've read so far.
Not exactly, he has been acting really out of character lately though. He used to prefer being hand fed and now he has no interest in being hand fed (he still eats just not hand fed). He was outside when it started raining very roughly today (I was able to bring him inside in the middle of it) and now he is moving his tail very oddly. He curls it almost all the way up but still moves it side to side like he isn't comfortable with its position. I've never seen him do this before.

Not exactly, he has been acting really out of character lately though. He used to prefer being hand fed and now he has no interest in being hand fed (he still eats just not hand fed). He was outside when it started raining very roughly today (I was able to bring him inside in the middle of it) and now he is moving his tail very oddly. He curls it almost all the way up but still moves it side to side like he isn't comfortable with its position. I've never seen him do this before.
The tail behavior is not something I'm familiar with or read anything about yet. I'm sorry. Maybe someone else will be able to help.

Click on the link in my signature then copy the questions and post your answers back on this thread. Pictures and videos would help a lot, the more detail you provided the better we can help you .

Click on the link in my signature then copy the questions and post your answers back on this thread. Pictures and videos would help a lot, the more detail you provided the better we can help you .
I'm still new to the forums, i have a video of the tail thing, but how do i post the video?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Charlie,Panther Ambilobe male ~3yrs, I've had him a little over 1 month.
  • Handling - Whenever he wants to come out and/when I move him to his other enclosure
  • Feeding - Mainly crickets and supers, sometimes roaches, wax worms, horns, silks. I can usually get him to eat 1-2 in-front of me but I also leave 1-2 in his enclosure for him to hunt during the day. I feed him mornings and sometimes afternoons if all their food is gone previously. I gut load with carrots mainly.
  • Supplements -I use Rep-cal Calcium 0%D3 3 times a week. I also use Repashy Calcium plus LoD 3 times a month.
  • Watering - I have a mister set up to spray every hour for a minute each and a dripper. I turn the mister and dripper off at night and on in the morning. I see him drinking as he normally does.
  • Fecal Description - Brown and white. He has not yet been tested for parasites while in my care.
  • History - I took him to the vet after having him for about a week or two because there was blood in his cage, on the bottom, it was just a tiny drop. Vet said he seemed all good and he may of just strained when pooping.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I have a zoo-med reptibreeze open air screen cage.(24"L x 24"W x 48"H)
  • Lighting - I use Reptisun 10.0 UVB lights (the long thin ones) for 10-12 hours. Or I put him in his outside enclosure all day.
  • Temperature - the basking temp gets to be just under 90f and the other higher areas are about high 80s the bottom would be room temp (my house is usually around the high 70s). I measure with a temperature/humidity gauge.
  • Humidity - low 60s at night and 70-80s during the day. Automatic mister and dripper. humidity/temperature gauge.
  • Plants - I have a live hibiscus and then fake vines and a few fake leaves for decoration and keeping in humidity.
  • Placement - The cage is next to a window that right now remains closed but will sometimes be opened for fresh air and too add some extra humidity. The cage is in a large metal pan on the floor. The pan is to collect excess water so it doesn't damage the hardwood.
  • Location - Im in central florida.

Current Problem - I wanted to find out if his legs looked oddly lumpy to anyone else or if i was just being paranoid about MBD. He has also been acting kind of weird, not eating out of my hand like he used to etc. he still is eating and drinking though! sometimes he will dangle his back legs off, his grip with both legs feel the same as when I first held him though.

What time of the day was this? It looks like he is struggling a bit, or like it's uncomfortable. It almost looks like his sleeping position. I do know that when chameleons are facing something intimidating, they ball up their tails to make themselves look bigger. Can he see his reflection anywhere? Also, is there something in the room that has made him do this before?

What time of the day was this? It looks like he is struggling a bit, or like it's uncomfortable. It almost looks like his sleeping position. I do know that when chameleons are facing something intimidating, they ball up their tails to make themselves look bigger. Can he see his reflection anywhere? Also, is there something in the room that has made him do this before?
He didn't do this before, I had left him his outside enclosure and went to run some errands (its a full screen enclosure so he is safe) it started raining pretty hard when i was out. When I got home it was still raining but I brought him inside and put him under his basking light to warm himself up and he started doing that with his tail once he was warmed up and moving around. In the video he is in his sleeping spot since it was at about 7/8pm and his lights had just turned off. He is facing a window in the video but as i said before he has never done that with his tail before. I think he may be shedding soon? When i got him he had just finished shedding so i haven't seen him shed yet but his body is started to get paler, I gave him a bath to see if his scales were just dry but it didn't change much so i suspect shedding soon.

Well keep an eye on it and give us updates if anything changes. If you suspect he might be sick or something, you probably want to go to the vet and get a checkup.

Back
Top Bottom