Probably purchased an unhealthy Panther Chameleon

Sadly, Dempsey past away yesterday morning.
We are all sad & very mad about the situation. I just don’t understand how the people at that store could do that to any animal & then sell them. But if you spend just 5 minutes looking at the reviews about them (obviously my family didn’t ☹️) you can see that they have been doing it for a long time!
I appreciate everyone’s help.
So sorry for your loss! 😔

I am sorry to hear this.
And I am sorry this had to be your first experience with a chameleon. They truly are fascinating animals!
And it's your call. But your local community should know what a shoddy place this store is. If you have any friends that use social media, ask them to help you to get the word out about this place. I can pretty much guarantee this is not the first time they have done something like this.
You may want to consider contacting your local ASPCA.
I would take them to small claims court. Between the vet visit and this thread, you would probably win.

Thanks Everyone! I called the store that we purchased Dempsey from to let them know everything that the vet had told us, including that he had been starving for far longer than 4 days. That it takes longer than that for him to have lost all the muscle in his legs, and for his ribs to show through his skin. The lady told me that he was perfectly fine & eating well when he left their store & that it was our fault that he was sick (this was before he had passed) that my family signed a document saying they understood the return policy & that there were no warranties.

The BBB rating for them is an F. The Google & Yelp reviews show that they have sold dead tarantulas, pictures of dead boas on clearance, & several complaints of mites & respiratory illness. it really is a disgusting place.

I would gladly reveal the name of the store, if it were allowed. However, I don't want to get kicked off the forums, if it's not.

I'm sure I will be getting another cham, someday. I just don't know if I am ready just yet.

Sadly, Dempsey past away yesterday morning.
We are all sad & very mad about the situation. I just don’t understand how the people at that store could do that to any animal & then sell them. But if you spend just 5 minutes looking at the reviews about them (obviously my family didn’t ☹️) you can see that they have been doing it for a long time!
I appreciate everyone’s help.
:( So sorry for your loss hun. I hope you try again when your ready. And know this is not what would happen with a healthy baby with the correct environment. At least he was cared about in his final moments. We can give you feedback on good breeders when you are ready.

Share the name so we all know what’s up, it’s not against any rule that I know of.
Thank-you everyone!! It will definitely be a different experience the next time. I will get it from a reputable breeder & have the enclosure set up, with forum reviews before the cham is even purchased!!

The store is Great Lakes Reptiles in Roseville, MI.

I am in the process of putting my review on the different sites and am including a picture on the ones that allow it. I had to quit reading the other reviews because they are so awful. The owner also answered some saying that the reviews were from competitors trying to hurt his business. :mad:

I am also in the process of looking for who to contact about their licensing & humane society or ASPCA. I can't let it rest with bad reviews.

Thank-you everyone!! It will definitely be a different experience the next time. I will get it from a reputable breeder & have the enclosure set up, with forum reviews before the cham is even purchased!!

I am in the process of putting my review on the different sites and am including a picture on the ones that allow it. I had to quit reading the other reviews because they are so awful. The owner also answered some saying that the reviews were from competitors trying to hurt his business. :mad:

I am also in the process of looking for who to contact about their licensing & humane society or ASPCA. I can't let it rest with bad reviews.
Good on you, don’t let them get away with this BS!

Good on you as well! This can't stay the same. (y) 😢

In my research to find out where to make my animal cruelty/neglect complaint, I found out that Michigan doesn't require pet stores to have a license!
MI Department of Agriculture and Rural Development on Pet Shops

There doesn't seem to be an ASPCA nor Humane Society in the area.

Roseville doesn't seem to have an animal control unit, so I emailed & called the Macomb County Animal Control Office. They want the vet files & something in writing that says Dempsey was starved. I totally got the feeling that they think that I just want my money back. I explained to him over & over that it's not about the money it's about the treatment of the animals in their shop. When I called Great Lakes Reptiles about Dempsey, I didn't even ask them about the money back. Anyway, the information has been sent & the bad reviews have been made.

Back
Top Bottom