Pretty cheap insect cage that I use as a feeder cage for my cham.

The cage keeps any escapes from roaming the house since it's on my side porch. Plus I don't have to worry about crickets chomping my cham in his sleep.

Attachments

• 20190704_115405.jpg
    20190704_115405.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 90
Ok... well this may actually cause much more stress then necessary for the lil guy. They are very sensitive to their surroundings. That is very exposed as well with no where to hide. He may very well back off of eating just because of the stress of being in something he is not familiar with and exposed to birds flying by. They also need to be given the opportunity to eat as much as they want to at a young age. This includes having access to food all day.

I don't know what is up with the "you people" comment... If you do not want feedback then do not post. What you are doing is totally unnecessary. Chameleon's eat insects... Some get out.. It is a part of keeping. But how you are going about it... No most keepers will not agree with.
I agree pulling him out of his cage everyday just to feed him is going to cause unnecessary stress. It’s okay to take your chameleon out every once in awhile for some sun/free range etc but what your doing is just going to cause more harm than good in my opinion.

I agree pulling him out of his cage everyday just to feed him is going to cause unnecessary stress. It’s okay to take your chameleon out every once in awhile for some sun/free range etc but what your doing is just going to cause more harm than good in my opinion.

They are not transporting it in and out look at the picture, the rig for feeding is the modified pill bottle. It is all so wrong.

Yeah I saw him/her in there. I hope this is just a feeder cage. While I disagree with taking your chameleon in and out of his cage everyday to just feed him if this is a permanent setup then the OP has a lot more problems on his hands.

It’s a feeder cage, he hand built a huge beautiful cage in another post. Maybe this helps his little guy get the food before it escapes. I know there are other ways to feed but when Terry was less mobile I did this for him and it helped him transition from hand feeding to trying independent hunting.

I know people with geckos that do this when feeding live insects. But most geckos accept handling and are usually more tolerant to it than most chameleons. I would think a feeder run cup would work just as well and be more preferable to the chameleon than moving him each day for feedings but to each their own.

It’s a feeder cage, he hand built a huge beautiful cage in another post. Maybe this helps his little guy get the food before it escapes. I know there are other ways to feed but when Terry was less mobile I did this for him and it helped him transition from hand feeding to trying independent hunting.
I did check out his older posts his cage is a very nice setup!! I’m still going to have to disagree with having to take him out of the cage to feed him. I can understand if it was for medical reasons and your chameleon couldn’t hunt and you had to physically hand feed etc. I think pulling him out of his regular cage into his feeder cage then back into his regular cage is bound to cause stress eventually. Most chameleons don’t like to be handled as it is. To each their own though.

Just buy a feeder cup from full throttle feeders and put it in the cage. It keeps the bugs in one spot and no need to take the cham out. I'm fine with you holding your cham but your comment about "you people" felt like a jab at the forum. Do whatever works for you as long as the safety and health of the cham comes first.

I don't know what is up with the "you people" comment... If you do not want feedback then do not post. What you are doing is totally unnecessary. Chameleon's eat insects... Some get out.. It is a part of keeping. But how you are going about it... No most keepers will not agree with.
Sorry Beman, I shouldn't of said "you people." I don't feel like going into depth to explain myself or argue.. Thanks for the advice.

A young panther chameleon shouldn't need help getting food, but OP can do what he wants of course, it's not that big a deal.

I do agree with the others that I wouldn't do it, to each their own. Panthers tend to be more easy going with being handled and moved, but this probably wouldn't work with species that stress over being moved much more. My cham won't eat days after going to a place he's unfamiliar with.

Sorry Beman, I shouldn't of said "you people." I don't feel like going into depth to explain myself or argue.. Thanks for the advice.
Just know no one here is out to get you. I would really like to hear your side of this. There is no one way to keep a chameleon. So if you found a better way to feed "your" chameleon that really works that's awesome! We are happy for you if that's the case. Everyone here just always puts themselves or their chameleons in the shoes of another's. What works for me may not work for you. Or vice versa. And this is still OK.

Back
Top Bottom