Preparing for my first chameleon

Cipher

Hi all! I’m Joe and stumbled across this forum a few weeks ago while scouring the web for information on chameleon husbandry. I think I’m going with a panther, if I can find one at a fair price that isn’t at a big box store (messaged a member here and waiting for a response back). I’m winding down from a 220 gallon saltwater reef tank and have always wanted a chameleon since I was little (42 now). They have always fascinated me and since my nephews son now has one and my girlfriend has a bearded dragon, I decided to finally join the reptile club.

I plan to use one of the 3 Radion XR30 pros from my reef tank as the plant lighting and purchased a 24” T5 HO fixture and UVB made by Reptisun. It’s crazy what COVID has done to supply and finally located a cage with a clear door, a Reptibreeze XL Deluxe. I really wanted a Dragon Strand cage, but I don’t want opaque sides and didn’t want a screen door. Mistking will be taken care if by a Mistking Ultimate to leave room for future expansion. Basking lamp is an Exo TerraSun-Glo 75 watt with a Fluker’s Repta-Clamp dimmabe fixture. I ordered two sets of Dragon Ledge and picked up a 3 ft Schefflera, Pothos, birdsnest fern and a wax plant today. I’ll have it all ready before too long and looking forward to being ready!

Woohoo! One thing to note is that the MistKing Starter System can run 10 nozzles so you may be fine with the Starter one and can save yourself some money.

Have you decided what you're doing for supplements, gutload, and feeders yet?

Welcome to the cham community! Lol Nicely done on getting those main items to start! Those ledges are amazing and so so helpful too. Great plant choices too!! I’d love to see your set up when you get it all together. i love seeing the creativity of how others put together their cages. And then I go damn mercy why didn’t you think of that?! Or oh wow can I just buy yours real quick? ??
When do you plan on getting your cham?

Woohoo! One thing to note is that the MistKing Starter System can run 10 nozzles so you may be fine with the Starter one and can save yourself some money.

Have you decided what you're doing for supplements, gutload, and feeders yet?

I haven’t looked at that in detail yet. Dubai roaches will be a must, since GF is raising them and we plan to get married likely this year. Plan to offer a variety, crickets are another and will read some info here, Chameleon Central FB and are Bill’s Academy site, along with watching some daily YouTube videos.

Welcome to the cham community! Lol Nicely done on getting those main items to start! Those ledges are amazing and so so helpful too. Great plant choices too!! I’d love to see your set up when you get it all together. i love seeing the creativity of how others put together their cages. And then I go damn mercy why didn’t you think of that?! Or oh wow can I just buy yours real quick? ??
When do you plan on getting your cham?
Thanks! I’m looking at late September or October, likely October. If I don’t find one by then, I’ll wait and keep looking. Looking forward to it and so is GF’s 9 year old son!

seems like you are set up for success! I wish I had the opportunity to get prepared before cham but he was a rescue and I've had to play catch up to get his husbandry in a good place. Where did you end up buying your cage from? I'm intrigued about the clear door. I was going to get a dragon strand hybrid but if there is a better choice with more visibility I'm all up for it.

Hi all! I’m Joe and stumbled across this forum a few weeks ago while scouring the web for information on chameleon husbandry. I think I’m going with a panther, if I can find one at a fair price that isn’t at a big box store (messaged a member here and waiting for a response back). I’m winding down from a 220 gallon saltwater reef tank and have always wanted a chameleon since I was little (42 now). They have always fascinated me and since my nephews son now has one and my girlfriend has a bearded dragon, I decided to finally join the reptile club.

I plan to use one of the 3 Radion XR30 pros from my reef tank as the plant lighting and purchased a 24” T5 HO fixture and UVB made by Reptisun. It’s crazy what COVID has done to supply and finally located a cage with a clear door, a Reptibreeze XL Deluxe. I really wanted a Dragon Strand cage, but I don’t want opaque sides and didn’t want a screen door. Mistking will be taken care if by a Mistking Ultimate to leave room for future expansion. Basking lamp is an Exo TerraSun-Glo 75 watt with a Fluker’s Repta-Clamp dimmabe fixture. I ordered two sets of Dragon Ledge and picked up a 3 ft Schefflera, Pothos, birdsnest fern and a wax plant today. I’ll have it all ready before too long and looking forward to being ready!
Funny I’ve done the chameleon thing & was thinking doing a large reef tank with octopus or squid ... maybe ... haha !

So, as a fellow reefer, I have mucho experience with the Radions and I can tell you unless you are doing a MASSIVE enclosure, it's going to be quite a bit too much light for a cham enclosure. Probably worth more used in the reefing community and then pick up something inexpensive for the cham setup.

have always wanted a chameleon since I was little (42 now). They have always fascinated me ....

Likewise, except I'm retired now, and checking it off my "bucket list." :LOL:

Just a point of awareness... glass enclosures can be subject to mirror-like reflections, usually because the light is much brighter inside the enclosure than outside (think of using a tinted car window or empty store-front window as mirrors). Not good for chameleons, who tend to get stressed when they see another chameleon.

There are work-arounds, but some can defeat the purpose of having glass. ;)

So, as a fellow reefer, I have mucho experience with the Radions and I can tell you unless you are doing a MASSIVE enclosure, it's going to be quite a bit too much light for a cham enclosure. Probably worth more used in the reefing community and then pick up something inexpensive for the cham setup.

The nice part about Radions is they are completely controllable and that makes it worth tossing one on the enclosure to me. They effectively cover a 24” x 24” area so the coverage is perfect. A massive enclosure would take more than one Radion and be quite expensive. I never ran them even close to full power on the reef tank (55%) and plan to do the same here. I love the sunrise and sunset you get with these lights, makes it seem so natural!

Likewise, except I'm retired now, and checking it off my "bucket list." :LOL:

Just a point of awareness... glass enclosures can be subject to mirror-like reflections, usually because the light is much brighter inside the enclosure than outside (think of using a tinted car window or empty store-front window as mirrors). Not good for chameleons, who tend to get stressed when they see another chameleon.

There are work-arounds, but some can defeat the purpose of having glass. ;)
I looked into that, but if it becomes an issue, it can be easily remedied. Not having to look through screen is worth the extra trouble of rearranging plants/lighting.

Do you plan on getting some type of humidifier on top of the MistKing system? Also, are you going to be suspending your basking lights or will you be resting the light on top of the enclosure?

I'm also currently looking to get into the hobby and was seriously considering Dragon Strand Hybrid cage that is available right now. I think the new version comes with clear front door so that would have solved your concern.

Welcome to the forum! It looks like you have most of the big stuff figured out. I don't have specific experience with the Radion lights, but it looks like others do and already provided their feedback.

What have you bought for supplements and what is your intended schedule?

And finally... post some photos once you're all set up! We would love to see your setup once it's complete and of course we want to see your new cham when he arrives :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! It looks like you have most of the big stuff figured out. I don't have specific experience with the Radion lights, but it looks like others do and already provided their feedback.

What have you bought for supplements and what is your intended schedule?

And finally... post some photos once you're all set up! We would love to see your setup once it's complete and of course we want to see your new cham when he arrives :)
I will be purchasing Arcadia Earthpro-A for daily feedings and Repashy LO-D for twice monthly supplementation.

Welcome to the forum, there are lots of good information here. I also researched and built my enclosure months before I ever got my chameleon. I'm so glad that I did.

Welcome to the forum, there are lots of good information here. I also researched and built my enclosure months before I ever got my chameleon. I'm so glad that I did.
I’m seriously considering going the Bio-Active route, just don’t care for the tree pouches and amount of DIY for a substrate tray and drainage. Still researching...

I have the tree pouch thing. It sits on top of a screen and piece of material with 87,283 holes punched in it (for stability). Then I have a tray under that the cage sits on and that has a small 1/2" bulkhead that that I cut the screen off of and hot glued bug screen material too. That drains into a bucket on floor. After a week I haven't seen a drop yet. (I have a Dragon Strand hybrid enclosure)

Back
Top Bottom