Pregnant?

aramis32

Hello, my girl is not moving when on my hand. She ate a wax worm today but wasnt keen for a second...

She lives with her brother and i wonder if she is pregnant??

image.jpg

How do you mean she lives with her brother?? Chameleons cant live together. And if you mated two chameleons from the same clutch, thats like extremly bad.. Can you fill out this form and post it back here?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

How do you mean she lives with her brother?? Chameleons cant live together. And if you mated two chameleons from the same clutch, thats like extremly bad.. Can you fill out this form and post it back here?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
image.jpg

She is 6 months old. I haven’t separated them yet but about to these days. Living here since she was 6 weeks old.

handled every day or two for 5 min on my hand. She normally moves a lot but now is super chilled. Barely moves or very slowly.
Yes, she is gravid. How long has she been showing those colors? Has she ever laid a clutch of eggs before?
No she has never laid eggs. I don' know what is up with her, she is very relaxed and turned to brighter green when taken out of the enclosure and spend about 15 minute with me.

Yes, she is gravid. How long has she been showing those colors? Has she ever laid a clutch of eggs before?
are the colours not good? she had these colours for the first time a week ago when i placed her in front of a mirror, she turned bright and opened her mouth. I then put her back in her enclosure.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
for you questions, she has been with us for 6 months together with her brother of the same age.

They fight sometimes so i am looking at ways to separate the enclosure. The enclosure is 150cm high, 60cm deep and 115cm wide (it is an ikea wardrobe turned into terrarium).

Feeding: i placed 20 adults locusts in the terrarium, they ate them slowly over two weeks. Lots of leaves of the ficus were eaten but plenty left as it is quite big. I didn't dust the locusts for 2 weeks and started feeding crickets today (dusted with calcium).

Water, i have a 100L tank placed outside the terrarium, it is programmed to give 3 minutes of water every day at 3pm. The water system runs through a tube in a serpentine on the ceiling of the enclosure mimic rain. Leaves remain wet for over 1h.

I never saw them drink but had this setup for 5 months now. I am also not always at home around that time.

No clue on previous testing. I got them from a private breeder who told us they were in good health and they seemed enthusiast and not dodgy people.

Can't really find stool samples, there are some but don't know from when. There is an entire ficus tress and another smaller plant i forgot the name but was ok for chams. There are also two ivy plants growing on the background.

Lighting is 12h shifts on a timer. UVB for chams as per petshop. Heat lamp on for 5h a day on timer.

Temperature: we have 4 digital hygrometer/thermometers in different places around the enclosure (in the middle as well). Lowest 21% and 20C and highest 60% and 34C.

We are in London, the enclosure in next to a window. no fans around.

Just wondering what is up with her as she seems she has lumps in her belly.. could be ovaries

She is gravid, those lumps are eggs. She is very likely going to lay fertile eggs....fertilized by her brother. They should have been separated months ago. She is that coloring because she is gravid. It is a warning pattern telling other chameleons to back off. Does she have a lay bin? They need to be separated immediately.

She is gravid, those lumps are eggs. She is very likely going to lay fertile eggs....fertilized by her brother. They should have been separated months ago. She is that coloring because she is gravid. It is a warning pattern telling other chameleons to back off. Does she have a lay bin? They need to be separated immediately.
no she doesn't have a bin. Shall i put a plastic box with some soil now?

Oh yes. She should have access to a lay bin at all times to err on the side of caution. You want to use washed playsand, or sand mixed with soil. Some keepers use only soil but adding the sand will help it hold a better tunnel. You want to make the sand moist enough to hold a tunnel, but not too wet. It should be 6-9 inches deep and I like to make my laybins 10 inches in length x 10 inches in width. You will want to place it a very private spot in the bottom of the enclosure. Theyre very secret when laying, so she wont want to be disturbed. When you notice she is digging you should cover the bottom of the enclosure to give her privacy. The male will need to be out of there

Oh yes. She should have access to a lay bin at all times to err on the side of caution. You want to use washed playsand, or sand mixed with soil. Some keepers use only soil but adding the sand will help it hold a better tunnel. You want to make the sand moist enough to hold a tunnel, but not too wet. It should be 6-9 inches deep and I like to make my laybins 10 inches in length x 10 inches in width. You will want to place it a very private spot in the bottom of the enclosure. Theyre very secret when laying, so she wont want to be disturbed. When you notice she is digging you should cover the bottom of the enclosure to give her privacy. The male will need to be out of there
Ok. How long does the laying last?
She is sleeping now. Shall i wake her up or wait tomorrow morning?

Ok. How long does the laying last?
She is sleeping now. Shall i wake her up or wait tomorrow morning?
Yes, you can wait until tomorrow. It usually lasts a day or 2. She will go down to dig. She will dig tunnels until she makes one she likes, then turns around in it and go booty in first, lay her eggs, come out and bury them. Then she will go back up top to bask and she will likely be hungry and thirsty. If she is healthy it should be a relatively simple experience.

You have to make sure she can make tunnels and it doesnt collapse on her. You need to buy an entire separate enclosure for her NOW, you dont have time to think abt how to split one. She has been stressed to death for months because she is with another chameleon in the same enclosure. @AmandaS do you have that sheet for laybins?

You said..."for you questions, she has been with us for 6 months together with her brother of the same age"... They should have been separated ages ago.

You said..."They fight sometimes so i am looking at ways to separate the enclosure. The enclosure is 150cm high, 60cm deep and 115cm wide (it is an ikea wardrobe turned into terrarium)"...they're fighting could lead to injuries that could cause death. The stress of being in the same cage could kill them both.

You said..."Feeding: i placed 20 adults locusts in the terrarium, they ate them slowly over two weeks. Lots of leaves of the ficus were eaten but plenty left as it is quite big. I didn't dust the locusts for 2 weeks and started feeding crickets today (dusted with calcium)"...if the locusts were loose in the cage the powder would have fallen off of them and not ended up in your chameleon. Also, they insects would not have been very nutritious having not eaten for two weeks.

What supplements do you use and how often for each of them? Do you feed/gutload the insects?

You said..."I never saw them drink but had this setup for 5 months now. I am also not always at home around that time"... What color are the urates?

You said..."Lighting is 12h shifts on a timer. UVB for chams as per petshop. Heat lamp on for 5h a day on timer"...what specific UVB light are you using and what heat light?

You said..."Temperature: we have 4 digital hygrometer/thermometers in different places around the enclosure (in the middle as well). Lowest 21% and 20C and highest 60% and 34C."...the basking temperature should be 80F

You said...."We are in London, the enclosure in next to a window. no fans around"...England?

You said..."Just wondering what is up with her as she seems she has lumps in her belly.. could be ovaries" ...the lumps are eggs. If she has no proper place to lay them she will blimey become eggbound and die if she doesn't get surgery to remove the eggs.
Since she has a male with her the eggs will be fertile. It's possible from the way you've kept her it will be a huge clutch.
The lay bin needs to be IN her cage ASAP...like yesterday.

As for the egglaying...I hope you're not to late.

You need to get the male out of there so she has peace to lay her eggs. If she starts diggin in the bin once it's in there, do not let her see you watching her. It will make her abandon the hole and can lead to eggbinding.

You really need to deal with this right away!!!!

This is the way the egg laying should go...
She should dig a hole...she could dig a test hole or two first but should pick one and dig it until she's happy with it. She should turn around butt down and lay the eggs in the hole...likely in the evening.

She should fill in the hole, tamp it down and return to the branches, thin and hungry and thirsty.

If it doesn't happen like this post on here ASAP.
If she starts sitting low in the cage, is lethargic, sleeps during the day or seems to be going down hill...get her to the vets right away.

You need to get the male out of there so she has peace to lay her eggs. If she starts diggin in the bin once it's in there, do not let her see you watching her. It will make her abandon the hole and can lead to eggbinding.

You really need to deal with this right away!!!!

This is the way the egg laying should go...
She should dig a hole...she could dig a test hole or two first but should pick one and dig it until she's happy with it. She should turn around butt down and lay the eggs in the hole...likely in the evening.

She should fill in the hole, tamp it down and return to the branches, thin and hungry and thirsty.

If it doesn't happen like this post on here ASAP.
If she starts sitting low in the cage, is lethargic, sleeps during the day or seems to be going down hill...get her to the vets right away.
I have removed the male from the enclosure. She is alone there. She is not going down a lot but stays up the top on a branch.

there are 30cm of soil underneath. Is this good enough for her to dig? I don’t understand if i should put another ‘bin’ within the enclosure

They seem to prefer sand to lay their eggs in but if they like the soil they will dig in it. The thing is that most people don't realize it when they don't like the substrate provided until the chameleon becomes eggbound and it's too late.

I can’t find sand for the potting mix until monday as all shops are closed. But there is a plant pot that is empty and quite deep at the bottom
Of the enclosure. I put a cover on half the terrarium to give her privacy
image.jpg

image.jpg

They seem to prefer sand to lay their eggs in but if they like the soil they will dig in it. The thing is that most people don't realize it when they don't like the substrate provided until the chameleon becomes eggbound and it's too late.
How do i know if she is egg bound? She is walking around the walls and climbing. I am looking for sand. When i find it, shall i put her in the bin or she will find it on her own? The male was taken out yesterday night. How long for her to start relaxing?

Back
Top Bottom