Pregnant Veiled Questions

Hello just had some questions about my pregnant female veiled. I first mated her with my male in early December. A few weeks later I let they mate again. I’m pretty sure she’s pregnant as she has gained a pretty significant amount of weight. However it will be 30 days since they last mated Tommorow and she isn’t showing any signs of laying. I showed her my male a few days ago and she got very mad and was definitely not gonna mate again. I’ve been feeding her 4 crickets or 4 dubia with calcium w/o D3 everyday since they’ve mated. I’m just curious on when she’s gonna lay and why it’s taking longer than usual, and if I’m feeding her a correct pregnancy diet. Thanks!

Gravid Veiled females will turn very dark to black with bright orange and blue. I would guess they are fertile and treat them as such. Feeding should not be daily but 3-4 days a week. Over feeding causes a large clutch which over time is hard on their bodies. Please send pics of her and enclosure. She will need a lay bin in her cage.

She has a lay bin however I’m considering replacing the dirt with washed play sand as I’ve read that’s what’s best. The only reason im feeding her daily is because I know she needs a lot of calcium for her eggs. I’ll send some photos of her and her cage

The pic where she is dark was the other day when I showed her the male, although she’s normally not that colourful. The other pic was a the day before I mated them the second time

Attachments

• 9904D99B-0C97-4F5C-81D1-F6AE6A785CF6.jpeg
    9904D99B-0C97-4F5C-81D1-F6AE6A785CF6.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 95
  • CE3391A0-7CB8-41C1-9893-EFF0C6B557C1.jpeg
    CE3391A0-7CB8-41C1-9893-EFF0C6B557C1.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 94
Def switch to the play sand and you don’t have to feed her daily due to pregnancy. Has she ever laid a clutch? Typically you can gauge the integrity of the eggs that way with a specific feeding schedule.

These are my cages. I have multiple Chams and have just started breeding.

Attachments

• 75AAD16E-3757-40CF-8CF3-976F7B74BA46.jpeg
    75AAD16E-3757-40CF-8CF3-976F7B74BA46.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 91
The pic where she is dark was the other day when I showed her the male, although she’s normally not that colourful. The other pic was a the day before I mated them the second time
Yep, she is gravid...when she is ready she will become very restless and make her way to the bottom of her cage and start digging. I would get it in the cage ASAP so she can get use to it.

These are my cages. I have multiple Chams and have just started breeding.
Can they see each other? If they can I would put something in between so they cant see each other. If that is a high traffic area the bottom half needs to be covered for privacy when she starts digging. Also, it’s a little late now but in the future it’s good practice to have females lay an infertile clutch first so you can make sure the eggs calcify well. Also, depending on temps and how much you were feeding prior she could potentially lay 30-40 eggs or more.

Yep, she is gravid...when she is ready she will become very restless and make her way to the bottom of her cage and start digging. I would get it in the cage ASAP so she can get use to it.
When do you think she will lay? I’ve read it’s 4 weeks/30 days but she’s still eating normal and behaving normal and it’ll be 30 days since they last breed tmr and like 6 weeks since the first time

Can they see each other? If they can I would put something in between so they cant see each other. If that is a high traffic area the bottom half needs to be covered for privacy when she starts digging. Also, it’s a little late now but in the future it’s good practice to have females lay an infertile clutch first so you can make sure the eggs calcify well. Also, depending on temps and how much you were feeding prior she could potentially lay 30-40 eggs or more.
No it’s hard to see but I have wallpaper stuff from the petstore that blocks their view of each other. She’s pretty fat and I don’t want her to lay too many eggs for health reasons so I lowered her temps.

Typically it’s around 30 days but it can be longer. As long as she is alert, drinking, eating etc she should be fine. If she becomes lethargic, eyes closed, or hanging out lower in the cage and not basking or digging I would take her to the vet to get checked out. As far as temps go lowering curbs their hunger but the amount of food plays a bigger role. She looks pretty plump, they hide the eggs well lol.

Typically it’s around 30 days but it can be longer. As long as she is alert, drinking, eating etc she should be fine. If she becomes lethargic, eyes closed, or hanging out lower in the cage and not basking or digging I would take her to the vet to get checked out. As far as temps go lowering curbs their hunger but the amount of food plays a bigger role. She looks pretty plump, they hide the eggs well lol.
Sounds good. When should I cover up her cage? She’s not really in a high traffic area as I’m usually the only one in there but I don’t want her to be disturbed while laying. And do I need to cover all of it or just the bottom half?

When you notice her getting restless. I use some extra sunshade to cover the front and sides of mine and I think some ppl use a sheet. 3/4 covered don’t cover the lights and make sure the bottom is covered. Not going to sugar coat but egg laying it’s always a stressful time for me so be mentally prepared Lol.

When you notice her getting restless. I use some extra sunshade to cover the front and sides of mine and I think some ppl use a sheet. 3/4 covered don’t cover the lights and make sure the bottom is covered. Not going to sugar coat but egg laying it’s always a stressful time for me so be mentally prepared Lol.
Got it. I’m gonna repost in this thread if I start noticing anything, thanks.

Mine just laud her 1st clutch yesterday, and until then I thought she was a male bc that's what I was told lol, I just thought she was digging for food 😬 I came on here and made her laying bin right on time, she laid 65! The vet said they could be fertile bc the place I got her was storing her with males.

Welcome to the forum!

You said..."She’s pretty fat and I don’t want her to lay too many eggs for health reasons so I lowered her temps"...
The time the number of eggs she'll produce for the clutch would have been determined a while ago so changing the temperature won't help right now. The only reason in the first place to keep the temperature at 80F IMHO is to slow her metabolism to keep her less hungry when she's on the "diet" to keep her from producing huge clutches.

IMHO, while she is producing eggs, especially if they will be fertile, is not the time to cut her diet down to what we recommend to keep the clutch size small. You want the babies to be healthy.
You may find this interesting...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/03OctDonoghue.html

Also...it can be up to 40 days from the mating until the egglaying or even a couple of days more.

When she is digging, don't let her see you watching her and don't disturb her.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

You said..."She’s pretty fat and I don’t want her to lay too many eggs for health reasons so I lowered her temps"...
The time the number of eggs she'll produce for the clutch would have been determined a while ago so changing the temperature won't help right now. The only reason in the first place to keep the temperature at 80F IMHO is to slow her metabolism to keep her less hungry when she's on the "diet" to keep her from producing huge clutches.

IMHO, while she is producing eggs, especially if they will be fertile, is not the time to cut her diet down to what we recommend to keep the clutch size small. You want the babies to be healthy.
You may find this interesting...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/03OctDonoghue.html

Also...it can be up to 40 days from the mating until the egglaying or even a couple of days more.

When she is digging, don't let her see you watching her and don't disturb her.
Awesome, thanks for the info she was around 90 grams when first breed, and now she’s sitting at around 115-120

Back
Top Bottom