Pregnant Veiled Questions

Mine just laud her 1st clutch yesterday, and until then I thought she was a male bc that's what I was told lol, I just thought she was digging for food 😬 I came on here and made her laying bin right on time, she laid 65! The vet said they could be fertile bc the place I got her was storing her with males.
Do you know how much she weighed before she laid?

This was before, she didn't get really dark or anything so I wasn't concerned. I had just picked her up here so I just assumed she was mad
20220109_114201.jpg

Also wondering if the eggs will be fertile or partially fertile.
It depends on where she was in her cycle when she mated. More than likely will be all fertile though since it's already been 30 ish days since the mating. She can retain sperm though and the next clutch could be partly fertile if you don't mate them again.

20220110_162515.jpg
this was after and she is so much happier now, but I really don't want to have a bunch of baby chams. I have 1 reptile and would only be open to 2 max. I am incubating them till I can get them to the vet though

It depends on where she was in her cycle when she mated. More than likely will be all fertile though since it's already been 30 ish days since the mating. She can retain sperm though and the next clutch could be partly fertile if you don't mate them again.
How long can they retain sperm?

I’ve learned she’s knows when to mate and when not to. The first two times she mated within 30 seconds of the male going in her cage, the next time she got very mad instantly upon seeing him

I’ve learned she’s knows when to mate and when not to. The first two times she mated within 30 seconds of the male going in her cage, the next time she got very mad instantly upon seeing him
That's the way it goes normally. Sometimes they won't even mate the second time.

When I talked about the cycle...if she was already producing eggs when you put her with the male, some of the eggs would not be able to be fertilized because they would be too far along...so they would be infertile. She will still mate when that happens because the rest of the eggs she's making will be able to be fertilized.

The sperm from the mating that she did willingly will fertilize the remaining eggs that have ovulated likely and if there are sperm left over they will be retained for the next clutch.

Last edited:
That's the way it goes normally. Sometimes they won't even mate the second time.

When I talked about the cycle...if she was already producing eggs when you put her with the male, some of the eggs would not be able to be fertilized because they would be too far along...so they would be infertile. She will still mate when that happens because the rest of the eggs she's making will be able to be fertilized.

The sperm from the mating that she did willingly will fertilize the remaining eggs that have ovulated likely and if there are stern left over they will be retained for the next clutch.
Oh wow I didn’t know that, that’s pretty cool. I hope they are all fertile. Infertile eggs would make me upset lol

The sperm from the mating that she did willingly will fertilize the remaining eggs that have ovulated likely and if there are sperm left over they will be retained for the next clutch.
Is there a specific type of washed playsand I should get? Or will any work

I've always used the one produced by King's that comes in a white bag with red, blue, yellow sand box toys on the front. If it's ingested, it always seems to pass through them without causing a blockage, doesn't seem to cause eye infections, etc. somive always stuck with it.

I've always used the one produced by King's that comes in a white bag with red, blue, yellow sand box toys on the front. If it's ingested, it always seems to pass through them without causing a blockage, doesn't seem to cause eye infections, etc. somive always stuck with it.
Awesome. Lowe’s? Home Depot?

Look good! I would add some branches and plant to each once you put them where they are going. I assume one will be inside the cage indoors?

Back
Top Bottom