Pregnant Jacksonii Jacksonii

I have a Jackson’s Xanthalophus and what I do is set my window ac that’s right next to his cage down to 65 at night. That gets his ambient temp down to 65 or 67 at night. They need that temp drop at night. I also have a humidifier or fogger going from 1 am to 5 am and the mister going off at two hourly intervals lasting 2 min each time. This helps bring the temp down and humidity up to 80% which they need as well.

Thanks! Any ideas on how to lower temps at night are welcomed. I live gulf coast central Florida so cracking a window at night is not an option. I am currently lowering the air conditioning to 70 at night and keep it about 74 during the day. I just got a “mini air conditioner” that is basically a fan you put ice in that’s supposed to blow cool humid air and was hoping perhaps that will lower the temperature a little more at night? Going to test it today. Unless you know a reason this could be bad? Thanks for all the help!
I use a portable AC like @Lindasjackson to help get a cool nighttime drop. You can test the mini air conditioner; there shouldn't be any problem with it. The only question is whether or not it will drop the temps enough. I'd be curious to see what the results are! Keep us updated!

I use a portable AC like @Lindasjackson to help get a cool nighttime drop. You can test the mini air conditioner; there shouldn't be any problem with it. The only question is whether or not it will drop the temps enough. I'd be curious to see what the results are! Keep us updated!
Just tried the ice fan, doesn’t drop the temperature more than half a degree after an hour. I’m going to keep looking into a way to drop it more. Thanks!

I have a Jackson’s Xanthalophus and what I do is set my window ac that’s right next to his cage down to 65 at night. That gets his ambient temp down to 65 or 67 at night. They need that temp drop at night. I also have a humidifier or fogger going from 1 am to 5 am and the mister going off at two hourly intervals lasting 2 min each time. This helps bring the temp down and humidity up to 80% which they need as well.
When I move to the new apartment I’ll see what I can do about having them close under an ac vent! And continue to look for other ideas. I’ll also up the misting timer. Thanks!

Just tried the ice fan, doesn’t drop the temperature more than half a degree after an hour. I’m going to keep looking into a way to drop it more. Thanks!
I’m using an aquarium cooling fan and let it run from 08:00pm till 06:00am and my Jackson always sleeps in its airflow. It will lower temps in the airflow with few degrees (max 4), that in combination with a fogger, so it blows moist cool air.

Not yet! Hopefully she’s waiting until after I move the jungle on Thursday. It looks like Jewel has picked out a Halloween mask though. Saturday night I noticed her skin looked dry and was wondering if she could be dehydrated ( no yellow or orange in her urates just white). The next day she was in full shed. Pic from Sunday and today. :) How long before I should start to worry if it’s not all off?

Attachments

• F3C782FA-68CE-4164-92C1-A3BEE4A52F57.jpeg
    F3C782FA-68CE-4164-92C1-A3BEE4A52F57.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 17369500-45AC-481D-A1B6-A871EF0DA2CC.jpeg
    17369500-45AC-481D-A1B6-A871EF0DA2CC.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 102
From what I've heard, it is still normal to lose a few. To optimize your chances, you need to have cold nighttime drops well into the low 60s and preferably the 50s. Babies seem to need this temperature drop even more so than adults.

For your specific situation, it's even tougher because you just got her a week ago. In a perfect world, you would receive a nongravid female and get accustomed to her and really refine your T. jacksonii care parameters. Then once you feel confident, you would breed her. But unfortunately, breeders and vendors don't care for such formalities. Whatever happens, keep us in the loop. We will try to help you out as much as possible. But really try to get a cold nighttime drop. It seems to make them more resilient. I have faith in you!

@Kaizen had a clutch sometime ago where every single baby survived. It was quite the accomplishment.
My success with jax might be entirely a matter of luck, but I’ve had 100% success with the following:

1) I raise them individually
2) I keep in mind that they’re born into the same environmental conditions as their parents; so ambient daytime temps in the mid 70’s, NIGHTIME LOWS BELOW 60. Nightime humidity approaching 100%
3) I give em good uvb, and feed my bugs really well…like really really really well. This way I can be minimalist with supplementation.
4) I always try to keep em wild! I try not to handle or otherwise disturb any of my chams, but this is especially true for my babies.
5) I don’t sell any jax until they are at least 5 months. That’s a time commitment, but a necessary one.

my jackson chameleon had babies 5 days after i got her (i didn't know she was pregnant) and i wasn't able to/ i did not want to take care of 30+ babies at the moment so i sold them to a local breeder that raised them until they were old enough to sell. Im not sure if you want to raise them or not but it is pretty difficult as a new chameleon owner to raise lots of tiny little babies, although they are absolutely adorable and i wish i could keep them all they are a lot of work and they will eat a whole through your pocket🤣

my jackson chameleon had babies 5 days after i got her (i didn't know she was pregnant) and i wasn't able to/ i did not want to take care of 30+ babies at the moment so i sold them to a local breeder that raised them until they were old enough to sell. Im not sure if you want to raise them or not but it is pretty difficult as a new chameleon owner to raise lots of tiny little babies, although they are absolutely adorable and i wish i could keep them all they are a lot of work and they will eat a whole through your pocket🤣
I may look into that option lol there is a family owned pet store near me that I’ve been going to for years, and a guy there that breeds panthers. I know they are different, but he may have better chances with them? I have never seen a baby chameleon for sale there, they always look at least 50% adult size and they always seem to be educating their customers well when selling. Perhaps he’d be interested in taking them off my hands. If so I’d give them away as hatchlings because I realize the time and effort and expense that be put in before they are ready for homes. 😅

Jewel has not eaten since Wednesday although she has been actively walking around her enclosure… Perhaps babies soon? I’ll keep you all posted. Thanks for all the help!

I’m excited! I hope she has them soon! I would contact the person you’re referring to about taking the babies ASAP because if he wants them he will need some time to get ready for them.

I’m excited! I hope she has them soon! I would contact the person you’re referring to about taking the babies ASAP because if he wants them he will need some time to get ready for them.
Thanks, I will… and I’m excited too! Just also nervous because I’m worried about casualties lol. I’ll hate to see even some of them dropping off!

Back
Top Bottom