Pregnancy induced edemas

GCash

Avid Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCash
While we're on this subject, what are your guys thoughts on pregnancy induced edemas? Could it be a sign that they do need to supply a higher level of these vitamins to their young, to an extent that the mother's body(at least in montanes) can barely handle the elevated levels themselves? I have a werneri female that I know when she is gravid by the collar she gets and as soon as she gives birth it goes straight back to normal.

(pamnsam94)
Maybe pregnancy induced edemas should be a subject for another thread, but I'll briefly comment. I've wondered about them too, but more specifically, I wonder why I really haven't experienced them with my gravid females while so many other keepers do.

Since vitamin A is used by or transferred to the developing eggs, is it possible that, for those keepers who use beyond a certain amount of D3 in powdered form, the D3 causes organ malfunction, albeit slight, which then causes the edemas?

Once eggs are laid, the female wouldn't need as much preformed A, so I think more would remain in her system as opposed to going to the developing eggs. Under that scenario, it seems that the greater concentration of preformed A that the female should have might counteract the harmful effects of elevated D3. In other words, the preformed A to D3 imbalance would be corrected once the eggs were laid and the edemas would disappear as long as no permanent organ damage occurred.

Since I'm extremely cautious of using D3 in powdered form, preferring instead for my chameleons to manufacture their own, perhaps that's why my gravid females very, very rarely have ever had an edema. Just wondering. So much for my "brief" comment.

Perry

Excellent food for thought and educational, but I was originally thinking more along the lines of naturally converted vitamins. Since insects have little preformed vit. A, and in nature there's no one supplementing it, would the mother's physiological processes ramp up the conversion of carotenoids to increase the supply? For D3 the mother would just have to bask longer which is a common behavior we see already, but what is the catalyst for a chameleon's own conversion of vit. A from carotenoids? Could they produce more of this catalyst when they are gearing up to yolk a clutch? What regulates how much proformed A gets converted at any given time and circumstance? I've read in humans the major factors in bioconversion are food matrices, preparation and fat. Could it be that we see a benefit to using a preformed supplement because we aren't hitting a proper fat to beta-carotene ratio or something like that? Whatever the case and source, could the edemas during pregnancy be individualistic based on the varying factors and the female's chemistry just being out of whack during the process? I've experienced two human pregnancies and have seen how haywire things can get, including myself, and I wasn't even the one that was pregnant!

I don't know enough about pregnancy induced edemas to respond. Is this a common problem? I will say that we just don't know enough about the requirements of vitamin A to make much of any statement. THE Reptile book by Mader relies on some very old data by Ferguson who couldn't raise chameleons to a year of age without causing MBD. I think his studies are pretty much worthless in determining if chameleons need preformed vitamin A or if carotene could be used. This has never been explored. Also the amounts of vitamin A Ferguson used were based on gutloading crickets and not sprinkling vitamins on the crickets. The reptile vet community believes preformed vitamin A is essential but that is based on old data (and a number of chameleons with eye problems that respond to preformed vitamin A). There are experience keepers here who don't use preformed vitamin A and have had generations of offspring.

Can you describe the pregnancy induced edema or better yet have some pictures?

I am not aware of any studies that have shown that chameleons can even covert beta carotene at all into usable preformed vitamin A, let alone in sufficient quantities. I've read that it's likely that chameleons obtain their preformed A needs mostly through the consumption of various wild insects that have preformed vitamin A in their eye tissues.

As I mentioned earlier, from what I've experienced, the species I've worked with seem to have a greater tolerance for preformed A than is often thought, though I can't really quantify the amounts I'm talking about. I'll simply say that when I've varied the preformed A amounts (within limits) given to quads and other vitamin sensitive montane species, they didn't develop edemas.

A relatively wide tolerance for preformed vitamin A (at least compared to dietary D3 obtained through the occasional consumption of small vertebrates) would make sense if their preformed A needs were met through the consumption of wild insects. Different species of insects would no doubt vary in how much preformed A they had in their eye tissues. From what I've read though, the insects we culture are apparently lacking in preformed A, thus the benefit of occasionally gut loading or dusting with products that contain at least some preformed A.

I don't know enough about pregnancy induced edemas to respond. Is this a common problem? I will say that we just don't know enough about the requirements of vitamin A to make much of any statement. THE Reptile book by Mader relies on some very old data by Ferguson who couldn't raise chameleons to a year of age without causing MBD. I think his studies are pretty much worthless in determining if chameleons need preformed vitamin A or if carotene could be used. This has never been explored. Also the amounts of vitamin A Ferguson used were based on gutloading crickets and not sprinkling vitamins on the crickets. The reptile vet community believes preformed vitamin A is essential but that is based on old data (and a number of chameleons with eye problems that respond to preformed vitamin A). There are experience keepers here who don't use preformed vitamin A and have had generations of offspring.

Can you describe the pregnancy induced edema or better yet have some pictures?

I have a female werneri that has puffed up a little collar both times she's been carrying in my care and I've heard others experiencing it on several occasions. It hasn't seemed to affect her negatively at all and I just figured it was how this female reacted to being pregnant. She's cared for the same as all my other montane females and none of the others have edemas, nor does she between giving birth and the beginning of the next litter. Sometimes I wonder if its not as much true edema as it appears and is more from a displacement of space by her babies pushing things up.

I'm afraid I don't have any photos but if she does it a third time I'll try to snap some.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I have a female werneri that has puffed up a little collar both times she's been carrying in my care and I've heard others experiencing it on several occasions. It hasn't seemed to affect her negatively at all and I just figured it was how this female reacted to being pregnant. She's cared for the same as all my other montane females and none of the others have edemas, nor does she between giving birth and the beginning of the next litter. Sometimes I wonder if its not as much true edema as it appears and is more from a displacement of space by her babies pushing things up.

I'm afraid I don't have any photos but if she does it a third time I'll try to snap some.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I wonder if what you are seeing is the gular air sac being inflated because the abdomen is full of eggs. They have a pouch like air sac in the neck area. Sometimes these will swell if there is infection of the lungs. They may be inflated more because of the pressure in the abdomen and the lungs. I think you are right about air displacement.

I wonder if what you are seeing is the gular air sac being inflated because the abdomen is full of eggs. They have a pouch like air sac in the neck area. Sometimes these will swell if there is infection of the lungs. They may be inflated more because of the pressure in the abdomen and the lungs. I think you are right about air displacement.

I've had a "gut" feeling(haha) about this possibility for a while. Interesting to hear your observations. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom