Preference of basking site?

SliK JiM

This is an odd one, but I thought I'd put it out there to see what everyone else has noticed/does? Has anyone noticed a preference in chameleons for vertical basking sites over horizontal ones or vice versa (ie the wood is vertical or horizontal)? I ask because I have 2 basking sites using the same bulbs at roughly the same temperature (maybe 0.1'c different) and he massively prefers the vertical one! To the point where when the bulb blew in the vertical one, he basked at the horizontal one but his colours were really dark until I got the replacement bulb in the vertical one. Just wondered if anyone else had noticed anything similar?

my new 3 month old panther sits vertically to sun in his heat lamp, instead of on the branch that i have laid out horizontally for him.....its cute :)

Well, at least one person replied! Cheers! I was just trying to find out if there was actually a preference for basking spots as normally not much is actually said about how to have your basking spot set up! I'll give it a bit longer to see if anyone else says anything or not! Thanks again Jack

huh! ill have to try that, my panther only has horizontal, my veild has a tree, but he goes on vertical braches, and so does my oustalet, ill have to add in a vertical one for my panther, on the other hand though, he used to have both and always preferred the horizontal.

Well, at least one person replied! Cheers! I was just trying to find out if there was actually a preference for basking spots as normally not much is actually said about how to have your basking spot set up! I'll give it a bit longer to see if anyone else says anything or not! Thanks again Jack

they do anything. ill catch mine doing both, and i think its just preference

they do anything. ill catch mine doing both, and i think its just preference

Ok cool. It's just really interesting to know as I'd never considered it before. His 'vertical site' has only been used as a supplementary site until now (ie it was controlled by a dimmer so would only come on when the temps needed a boost) but once the bulb went I noticed his colours were dark quite a lot of the time and I couldn't work out why. I put in the new one in today and when it came on, he went straight there and his colours lightened almost immediately! I'm going to try switching it over for tomorrow (put the vertical one on full and the horizontal on the dimmer) to see if this has any effect! It's just something I didn't expect would make a difference to him especially seeing as the 'horizontal site' has been his main site ever since I got him a year ago and I only recently added the 'vertical' one around the end of December!

Back
Top Bottom