Precocious hatchling?!

TayloredExotics

Established Member
So, because chameleons love to do weird things and freak us out, I check on all my eggs at least every two days. April 1 (of course 🙃), I find that a batch of eggs laid Nov 21 has a hatchling inside! As of yet no other eggs from that batch, or the one laid two days earlier and kept in the same closet, have shown signs of hatching. My best guess is this dude (now named Jester) somehow skipped diapause? Tagging @saltydog and @kinyongia because I feel you've seen everything 😄

For the very first chameleon eggs (Chamaeleo Chamaeleon) I hatched, the first one hatched all by itself and then the next one hatched a month later. I thought it was because that egg might have been in a warmer spot in the container than the others.
I don't remember ever having another case of just one hatching way before the others...but I did have some that were spread out over a few weeks though.

What species are you hatching?

Oops, totally forgot to mention species! They're panthers (Furcifer pardalis)- ambilobe if that matters. And yeah, I had my last batch of eggs hatch one final baby two weeks after everyone else, but she came out super tiny and only lived about 36 hours

I'm sure we contribute to some of the oddities of hatchlings but I'm also sure that some of the odd things that happen we will never understand and were not responsible for. Sometimes we just have to go with the flow.

Back
Top Bottom