praying mantis?

my ooths or oothecas came… sadly they came so fast I didn’t even know they sat in my mailbox all night and the temps were in the 30s… I wonder if they will even make it now 😭
😞i’m so sorry to hear this. in my opinion if you ordered more than 1 i think you still have a great chance of them hatching!

😞i’m so sorry to hear this. in my opinion if you ordered more than 1 i think you still have a great chance of them hatching!
Ok cool! I figured I’d try anyways! I bought the 3 just like you! So cheap anyways even if they don’t I will try again when it’s a bit warmer here 🤗

Ok cool! I figured I’d try anyways! I bought the 3 just like you! So cheap anyways even if they don’t I will try again when it’s a bit warmer here 🤗
yesss you’re totally right! I’m not sure about temperature but i know mantis eggs are very tough from like falls and stuff cause the outside of the ooth is pretty much like styrofoam, and the eggs are in the middle protected by a pretty thick layer

yesss you’re totally right! I’m not sure about temperature but i know mantis eggs are very tough from like falls and stuff cause the outside of the ooth is pretty much like styrofoam, and the eggs are in the middle protected by a pretty thick layer
Well I can’t wait to see what happens! Let me know when yours hatch ☺️

I fed mantis to my chameleons when I lived on my families ranch. Mantis were hands down my chameleons favorite food. However I stopped feeding them out to my reptiles just because they were too great of an invertabrate to feed out as feeders. Plus they are a dangerous feeder insect that possibly has got parasites and could hurt my reptiles with their claws and bitting mouths. I think to break a hunger strikes Mantis are #1, Green Grasshoppers are #2 and Green Katydids are #3.

An old member from Southern California, Steve Simms captive bred about six/dozen species of Mantis as feeder insects for mostly his Calumma parsonii parsonii and to sell for about a decade. I have not heard from Steve Simms in a long while. Steve was a regular poster on the Chameleon Forums.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I fed mantis to my chameleons when I lived on my families ranch. Mantis were hands down my chameleons favorite food. However I stopped feeding them out to my reptiles just because they were too great of an invertabrate to feed out as feeders. Plus they are a dangerous feeder insect that possibly has got parasites and could hurt my reptiles with their claws and bitting mouths. I think to break a hunger stricks Mantis are #1, Green Grasshoppers are #2 and Green Katydids are #3.

An old member from Southern California, Steve Simms captive bred about six/dozen species of Mantis as feeder insects for mostly his Calumma parsonii parsonii and to sell for about a decade. I have not heard from Steve Simms in a long while. Steve was a regular poster on the Chameleon Forums.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
that is fascinating!🤔 i’ve always looked for people who sell mantis or grasshoppers through this forum but i’ve never had any luck! I have a 20ct grasshoppers otw but it’s from a dude i found on instagram from a close friend his name is khai phan and he sells a bunch of grasshoppers

that is fascinating!🤔 i’ve always looked for people who sell mantis or grasshoppers through this forum but i’ve never had any luck! I have a 20ct grasshoppers otw but it’s from a dude i found on instagram from a close friend his name is khai phan and he sells a bunch of grasshoppers
I am acquainted with Kai Phan. Kai Phan and Kai Phan's partner Dean Missimer are the main sources for grashopper right now in the USA.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Plus they are a dangerous feeder insect that possibly has got parasites and could hurt my reptiles with their claws and bitting mouths.
The ones that we are hatching out from ooths - do they have risk of having parasites or is it just those which are wild caught? The baby and small mantids I’m hoping pose no danger to our chameleons.

The ones that we are hatching out from ooths - do they have risk of having parasites or is it just those which are wild caught? The baby and small mantids I’m hoping pose no danger to our chameleons.
Captive Bred or Captive Hatched Mantis should not have problems with parasites. The young have not been exposed to parasites yet.

Young Preying Mantis to my knowledge are too young to harm chamleons or other reptiles as feeders. That is till the adult Mantis grow their adult claws and biting mouth parts.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Yes I get hoppers from him too! There is also “feed my chameleon “ Dean he sells them as well

yes! that was the first place i seen selling them, but unfortunately they’ve been sold out for a while 😅
Yeah! I did notice that as well, I keep checking 🤣 I feel like I’m developing a grass hopper hoarding tendency from the scarcity 😃

Yeah! I did notice that as well, I keep checking 🤣 I feel like I’m developing a grass hopper hoarding tendency from the scarcity 😃
😂😂that’s so funny you mention that cause over the last 2 months i’ve just been checking almost every day to see if they stock back up, guess we’re the same😅

Captive Bred or Captive Hatched Mantis should not have problems with parasites. The young have not been exposed to parasites yet.

Young Preying Mantis to my knowledge are too young to harm chamleons or other reptiles as feeders. That is till the adult Mantis grow their adult claws and biting mouth parts.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Ok. That’s good to know and a relief. Thank you! :)

my ooths or oothecas came… sadly they came so fast I didn’t even know they sat in my mailbox all night and the temps were in the 30s… I wonder if they will even make it now 😭

They are fine. They actually need a cold period to hatch. In the wild they survive much colder temps. Im in Maryland, USA and we get lows in the teens (rarely below, but somwtimes) and the chinese and caroline mantid ooths do just fine in our winters. I put them in the fridge dor a few weeks when I buy them so they think winter has passed when taken out, and its safe to hatch.

They are fine. They actually need a cold period to hatch. In the wild they survive much colder temps. Im in Maryland, USA and we get lows in the teens (rarely below, but somwtimes) and the chinese and caroline mantid ooths do just fine in our winters. I put them in the fridge dor a few weeks when I buy them so they think winter has passed when taken out, and its safe to hatch.
Thank you so much!

My first ooth hatched today so cute little mantids. I feel bad to put them in one of the chameleon enclosures, but these dratted soil gnats are about to drive me insane. I put them in with Lucky, who doesn’t shoot his tongue out more than a few inches, so they have a decent chance to survive a little while at least. Just ordered some fruit flies as I think I’ll hold some back for a little while. They are fierce hunters and super cool to watch.

My first ooth hatched today so cute little mantids. I feel bad to put them in one of the chameleon enclosures, but these dratted soil gnats are about to drive me insane. I put them in with Lucky, who doesn’t shoot his tongue out more than a few inches, so they have a decent chance to survive a little while at least. Just ordered some fruit flies as I think I’ll hold some back for a little while. They are fierce hunters and super cool to watch.
Oooh how fun! I feel like they cuteness will get to me as well 😭 are the fruit flys to feed the mantids?

that’s amazing 🤩 i’m hoping mine will hatch soon lol

Back
Top Bottom