Praying mantis

Kiwiflage

Established Member
So I've been wanting to start a breeding project, and have been debating a lot. Crickets smell, roaches... Are roaches.. I've considered worms and snails, but I've recently had the brilliant idea of breeding mantids! Do any of the more experienced keepers care to she'd some light on nutritional value of mantids as a staple? I will give a variety still, but as a main staple, would mantids be a good option? Thank you!

It takes awhile to get mantids to adults. Depending on species it could take 3-6 months to reach adulthood. I have mantids, they eat crickets, roaches, moths, and other bugs you'd feed to your chameleons. Unless you want them as pets I'd find another insect. On top of all of that, they eat each other if kept together. So they need to be kept in separate enclosures.

It takes awhile to get mantids to adults. Depending on species it could take 3-6 months to reach adulthood. I have mantids, they eat crickets, roaches, moths, and other bugs you'd feed to your chameleons. Unless you want them as pets I'd find another insect. On top of all of that, they eat each other if kept together. So they need to be kept in separate enclosures.

I totally agree with this. They are OK if you want to raise them as pets or for fun, but as a feeder they are just costly and take up a lot of space to house them all separately. They eat a lot and it takes months for them to be ready to breed, then it will take weeks just for the ooth to hatch. You wouldn't want therm as a primary feeder. I'm not even sure they are a hearty meal, but as a treat, the chams love them!

This is why I ask for your expertise! Clearly this wasn't thought out through.. Thank you! Any good ideas as far as a staple that isn't crickets or roaches?

You will want to feed a variety of feeders. Chameleons also need some roughage so crickets and or roaches should be a part of your mix. If you are looking for feeders to breed, silkworms are quite healthy and can be fed daily, my boys love to eat the moths as well. You could also breed isopods easily and they can be given about three times a week or so. Horn worms aren't too bad to breed once you get the hang of it. Snails are easy, but take a long time.

Really roaches are just the easiest and nice to have around. Dubias can't fly and can't climb smooth surfaces, they are great nutrition and easy to care for.

I might have to give silkies a try, I've heard good things about them. How often would you feed off snails? That would be an interesting hobby if I can maintain the correct moisture! Are they pretty healthy?

Back
Top Bottom