power outage =temperature drop

Fate X

one of my fears happened this morning the power went off for maybe 1-2 hrs i do not know as i was asleep and the chameleon room min temp was recorded at 52 f i had not set my temp alarm yet but after this incident i set it to alarm if the temp drops again.

how much cold can baby /adult veileds be exposed to until they get sick?

Your cham should be okay at 52 F if it was only for a couple hours. Veileds do benefit from a temp drop at night..even down into the low 60's F is okay for them. Remember that in the wild they experience day/night temp gradients.

even down to the low 60's is ok but it went into the low 50's this is their first time the temp dropped like this . the lowest it ever got was around 68 f.

needless to say i am disturbed at this turn of events because i am getting baby sleepy back to a healthy state and i feel that this temp drop might kill her.i have spent 7+ days and many hrs getting her well and now it might be all destroyed .

Hi, this is more of a question rather than an answer, what do you use to keep the temperature up at night, after you've turned off the basking light. Right now I have no problems with low temperature, but there is a time where I will have to regulate it at night ,and I assumed you use something because of the whole "power went out at night" thing.
sorry for not having an answer, andk kind of deviating from the topic.

I have always thought that at some point i might have to pack all my panthers up in shipping boxes and go to a hotel if we ever had a long power outage in my area. So far ive been lucky.

Hi, this is more of a question rather than an answer, what do you use to keep the temperature up at night, after you've turned off the basking light.

When temps fall beyond the normal drop in the cham room at night, I use ceramic heat emitters in porcelain sockets. They emit no light, just warmth.

http://www.zoomed.com/html/ceramic_heat_emitters.php

If you use these, test the temps before you go to sleep, to be sure they do not overheat your enclosure all night long. Most of the heat will go up and away from the cham.

actually the power went off sometime between 1:00 am and 9:00 am i been using a oil filled electric radiater turned on at 600watts connected to a esu thermostat set at 71 f the night temp never drops lower then 70 f because the thermostat kicks on. i was asleep when the power went off ,i know there light timer goes off at about 7:15 pm so tommorow im gonna wait in their room to see how much later the light goes off which will tell me how many hours or minutes the power was off.
the issue here is that the temp went to 52 f which is cold,very cold.
i got a temp alarm but i did not set it yet ,today i set it to alarm at 68 F and 80F but its to late ,the thing is i was gonna set it last week and forgot since its been getting cool.

my idea ,my vision is that upon a temp drop/alert the alarm will wake me if im asleep and before the temp drops to much i can go upstairs and put each chameleon in containers i got and bring them downstairs to the kitchen where their is a gas radiator that does not use electric , this will keep them nice ,the containers are not as good as the cages but it keeps them live and warm.
i live in the city which may increase the possibility of no-power situations which is why i got a temp alarm in the first place. its set now,im gonna test it to make sure it works. just the fact of my chameleons breathing in all that cold air has me thinking im gonna see open mouths very soon.

When temps fall beyond the normal drop in the cham room at night, I use ceramic heat emitters in porcelain sockets. They emit no light, just warmth.

http://www.zoomed.com/html/ceramic_heat_emitters.php

If you use these, test the temps before you go to sleep, to be sure they do not overheat your enclosure all night long. Most of the heat will go up and away from the cham.

how do you run your ceramic heaters without electric ?mine dont work when the power goes off.

i am gonna keep their room extra super cozy for the next few days.

this is making me sick in the stomach because i feel theres a impending massacre brewing here and its gonna unfold over the following days , i have plans this week to do some work here like putting a new roof on my home.

Last edited:
how do you run your ceramic heaters without electric ?mine dont work when the power goes off.

Sorry, I wasn't answering you in that, I was answering Lgustave's OT question.

Since you asked... Usually, our power outages are rare and very short- maybe an hour or two. Since mine are montanes, a couple hours at 60-50F and no lights on will not harm them. When temps get too low during an outage, I do the same as for tornado warning emergency evac. I have a cloth bag or pillowcase for each cham, I wrap up each one, and place inside a large soft-sided travel food container. The container keeps food hot or cold. I also have a probe thermometer in the corner, so I can read the temp inside at a glance. One instant heat pack per soft-side works for mine. If I keep the interior at 70F, the chams will sleep through the event. In the case of days without power, I'd tote the soft-sides next door to the house with a non-electric furnace.

Another option is to have back-up generator.

what about when the power goes off and you don't wake up? and when yopu wake up your microwave clock is flashing and the alarm clock is flashing and your power strip breaker went off , its to late.

Last edited:
shes talking about montane i have veileds i dont know anything about montane are veileds montane i don't know. i am talking about veileds being at 52F for 2-3 hrs possibly i dont sleep for 7 days i sleep for 5-7 hrs a day. i been talking abou tCB veiled chameleons , can they withstand 50 f for 2-3 hrs INDOORS NOT OUTSIDE.

OK I JUST READ ABOUT THIS 52 F DROP AND THERES NO REASON TO WORRY ,I AM GONNA SLEEP BETTER AND FEEL BETTER.

Last edited:
i am talking about veileds being at 52F for 2-3 hrs possibly i dont sleep for 7 days i sleep for 5-7 hrs a day.
I purposely let my reptile room drop into the 50's during night all through the harsh canadian winter months. Thats about 8 hours of that tempurature, forget worrying about 2-3. There will be no problem as long as they are allowed a time to warm up later on.

Chameleons deal with cool temperature great, maybe even better than they do with temperatures high enough to overheat them and cause heatstress. The most common time for you to have temperature drops will be in the night, when they can shut down their body systems to conserve heat. They constrict the viens on the outer part of their body, slow their heat beat, form a ball, etc. As long as it is not prolonged, days long, then there should be no lasting effects.

Back
Top Bottom