Power cut

kristytia

i was just wondering what would be the best thing to do if you have a power cut for more than a day. only asking as i live in england and the weather gets pretty rough and sometimes the power goes down. Is there anything i can do to keep the temp up in his cage, or buy anything to put in there to keep the temp up? Any help or advise would be great.
Thanks for any help

i was just wondering what would be the best thing to do if you have a power cut for more than a day. only asking as i live in england and the weather gets pretty rough and sometimes the power goes down. Is there anything i can do to keep the temp up in his cage, or buy anything to put in there to keep the temp up? Any help or advise would be great.
Thanks for any help

IMHO,
How bout buy an emergency generator (that would be best)?
Another super dire emergency thing to do is buy heat pack... but this should not be the first attempt to do when there's a power cut because heat pack can harm your chameleon in some way or another.

there is not many brits on here lol. Where abouts are you?

Not to discourage you from posting on here ;) and I think it's OK to tell you about another place to go, there is a UK captive herp forum I stumbled upon UK forum

As for your power issue, I live in NEW England and we too have many power outages in winter (all year, actually). When there is a storm coming I crank up the heat before hand and I have an electric oil heater
images
that works quite well that I will use just in the herp room at night to keep temps up "just in case" since I keep the rest of the house cool. I figure they can take a warmer room for one night. I also cover his cage with a fleece blanket to hold in any heat from the day time. I live in a 270 year old house which does not hold in the heat very well and from my trip to UK I recall this was the case with many houses in the country.

If we do in fact lose power I just keep Cy's cage covered and let him sleep. As long as it is dark they won't wake and wander because they can't see in the dark, this will keep body temp stable. The longest we have gone w/o power since I have had chams has been just about 20 hours and what I have mentioned here has worked fine. My bearded dragon and other lizards burrow and sleep. My African Clawed frog is the biggest worry b/c her water gets cold and she has no pump/filter. We have a well so when we lose power we lose our pump and have no water either. It is not fun :( But you are definitely doing the right thing by planning ahead! heat packs will not get you too far even if you put the cham in a smaller cage and that disruption is hardly worth it, IMO.

Hope this helps!
lele

Power outages..........

Small generators have come down in price quite a bit in recent years. You can get one at hardware stores. You have to keep them outside while in use, of course. Get some of the 24 to 48 hour heat packs to keep on hand. You can put one and your cham in a small box with one if you don't have a generator. They are not known to harm chameleons. Chams and other reptiles are being shipped all over the world with them :)

kristytia how big is your veiled
Male or female
I have a 5 month old male veiled and he is 10inches long

Back
Top Bottom