potting soil question

seaflirt

I have been looking for potting soil that does not contain any perlite,vermiculite,or a time released fertilizer so i can repot my plants for
my jackson enclosure.So far every garden center I've been to does not carry
a soil that is without these additives.Does anybody know of a certain brand
of soil that I can use,or any other suggestions?I've read about people using
rocks to cover the soil,will this solve my problem?any info would greatly be appreciated.

I just use peat moss with slight sand mixed in. I repot them once a year. Has worked for me. Kind of curious as to what some other owners do too? Can not say I ever have seen a thread regarding this before.

Don't call it potting soil when you ask... Potting soil IS "Soil with additives for plants" be it perlite, vermiculite, or fertilizer.

Ask for Regular "Top soil". It will contain; soil, sand, and peat moss while being thick and dark black usually. After you get it out of the sealed humid bag itll turn brown.

Any rocks used to cover the soil must be too small to hurt if for some reason they tumble, and too large for the chameleon to snap up.

There is debate over letting the chameleon have the option to consume bits of clean soil. Since they have been seen doing this in the wild I recall.

Howdy,

I've had pretty good results with "Supersoil". It is a potting soil but the additives are basically there to balance the soil's pH etc. and not perlite and those kinds of additives. I went with it several years ago on the advice of one of the successful panther breeders and so far so good. It seems to be available at most home centers and it is reasonably priced. Top soil would be a good choice too; however, it may not have as much of the nutrient levels that would benefit our plants. From time-to-time I fiddle with increasing soil drainage by adding small river rock type pebbles deep in the soil but I'm not really happy with the overall results.

http://www.supersoil.com/products/supersoil/potting_soil.shtml

Can you remove the first few inches of Potting soil and replace it with small chips of bark so that the chameleon can not get to the poision?

No.
You run the risk of your cham ingesting the bark.
Better to use river stones or glass stones if your going to cover the soil.

-Brad

Can you remove the first few inches of Potting soil and replace it with small chips of bark so that the chameleon can not get to the poision?
No.
You run the risk of your cham ingesting the bark.
Better to use river stones or glass stones if your going to cover the soil.
-Brad
Not to mention that the plant absorbs what is in the pot. Thus moving anything harmful in the pot (Perlite and vermiculite aside) up into the stems and leaves. Secondly, with water harmful chemicals may still leech out.

Back
Top Bottom