Potential New Owner

I am looking to purchase a new chameleon. I am new to this so could use as much input as possible.
1. Where do i buy? I live on Long Island in NY
2. I'd prefer a more docile and hardy species, definitely a male.
3. Any input greatly appreciated.

That way you'll have the healthiest cham possible!
I owned a female veil once b4 and lost her. She became egg laden. The cost is less than keeping my Saltwater reef tank going. I really enjoyed my chameleon and would like to give another shot. Only this time a male, but hoping to understand what species are a little more docile

I suggest reading the care sheets, deciding on a species or type, then setting up a budget & talking to a reputable breeder to see if your budget is feasible. Include the enclosure, lights, plants, misting, chameleon, monthly feeder cost, fund for vet bills...everything. once you decide on a type we can steer you to reputable breeders.

panthers from a site sponser or site breeder are probably what your looking for, read up on them do your research and make sure you have the proper husbandry. the only downside to panthers is the price along with vet bills and other stuff it can be a lot.

Most people, when talking about best "beginner" chameleons, mention panther or veiled. If a male panther or veiled chameleon seems to big for your space, consider a captive bred carpet chameleon. Look up Living Art by Frank Payne on Facebook. He is based in Pennsylvania, and is an experienced and reputable breeder. I don't have experience with carpet chameleons, but their care is similar to panthers. They require less space. In this species, the females are the most colorful. They tend to cost a bit less than panthers, they tend to not live as long. They may be a little more shy. Recently, Frank Payne published an article on carpet chameleons in Reptiles magazine. You should be able to find it online.

Most people, when talking about best "beginner" chameleons, mention panther or veiled. If a male panther or veiled chameleon seems to big for your space, consider a captive bred carpet chameleon. Look up Living Art by Frank Payne on Facebook. He is based in Pennsylvania, and is an experienced and reputable breeder. I don't have experience with carpet chameleons, but their care is similar to panthers. They require less space. In this species, the females are the most colorful. They tend to cost a bit less than panthers, they tend to not live as long. They may be a little more shy. Recently, Frank Payne published an article on carpet chameleons in Reptiles magazine. You should be able to find it online.

This is great, if you're lucky enough to get your timing right! It took me around 6 months of waiting before I managed to get one of Frank's babies. Amazing species, definitely agree that they are as easy (if not easier) than panthers in terms of care. Females are very skittish, stress-prone, and likely to drop from a branch when approached though. They are not a good species if OP wants a chameleon to interact with often

If you know nothing then read through this thread as I was in the same boat 1.5-2 months ago (skip the info in my first post since I changed things and could not edit that post). I bought an ambilobe panther male from FL Chams and he has been doing great for the past month. Definitely do your research as you are getting into a relatively high maintenance and costly hobby...but it's worth it.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/prepping-to-get-my-first-chameleon.166153/

Back
Top Bottom