potential broken leg!!!!????

pacca

Hello all,

hope you can help?
I have 2 veiled chams, my female has just given birth to 34 eggs:D!!
After sorting incubation out etc, my cham is very tired and weak and has been since yesterday. Today i decided to check her over as she doesnt seem to be eating and is still looking very weak,due to this, i have noticed that her back leg appears to be either broken or dislocated.After Ringing around the vets and maybe having to wait upto a week for next appointment, i am a bit worried as to what to do.I relise the reason why it has broken, is a combination of, lack of calcium and she was trying to cover her eggs as best as possible.

Is there anything i can do to help her eg. make a little splint?

thanks and regards chris

Hi bradley,

I am going to do this asap! :)
unfortunatly i have to wait a while to get in!
as we speak i am trying to find an alternitive

I would class a broken leg as an emergency! Poor little girl must be in pain. Can you phone them again and see if they have any emergency appointments? My vets do urgent/emergencies only on Saturday mornings. If you suspect a broken leg, they should try and fit you in! Maybe try an alternative vets?

thanks miss lily

i have just aquired other numbers and trying them now. is there anything i can do mean time?

This is an emergency on several levels.

We had a boy with a broken leg due to an accident while teenagers were helping clean cages. The leg had to be set by the vet before splinting. So splinting at home is not always the best thing. You may do more harm than good.

If the leg is broken near the hip, then it becomes even more difficult.

The vet would also probably want to give Calcium. Probably an injection while in the office and send you home with more. And may want to inject some fluids too, to help your girl recover from egg-laying.

Our vet has us come in with emergencies such as this, and they set us up in an empty room, and the vet and her assistant come in as soon as they can, between scheduled patients. Explain that this is an emergency and that you are willing to come and wait to be "worked in". I would try like anything to get someone to see you today. And ask for pain killers, too. It will actually help the healing process and help your girl recover. Liquid, oral, .02cc Metacam once a day was the dosage our cham was given for pain.

I'm glad you managed to get her seen:)sorry it's a fracture:( hopefully she will have a speedy recovery,all the best x

thanks for your help!!

i have taken her to the vet and it was a fracture.A small splint has been fitted and some drops to be given oraly.

Oh, good. Glad you were able to have her seen. The calcium drops will help a lot. Our little guy worked his splint off in 3 weeks. But his bones had healed by then. His was a compund fracture, broken through the skin.

Let us know how she does!

This is going to go against anything else anyone has said but you can make a splint out of paper.. just roll up paper and wrap it around the leg.

If you have the money go to a vet then, by all means, do so..

Everyone is going to argue but my veiled broke his leg and I put a homemade cast on him and healed in 2 weeks. His leg is a bit deformed but it is solid and it does not slow him down at all..

Take that chameleonforum.com!

Look at the attached picture.

Ok.. now everyone attack.

Attachments

• user6775_pic3970_1247550847.jpg
    user6775_pic3970_1247550847.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 729
This is going to go against anything else anyone has said but you can make a splint out of paper.. just roll up paper and wrap it around the leg.

If you have the money go to a vet then, by all means, do so..

Everyone is going to argue but my veiled broke his leg and I put a homemade cast on him and healed in 2 weeks. His leg is a bit deformed but it is solid and it does not slow him down at all..

Take that chameleonforum.com!

Look at the attached picture.

Ok.. now everyone attack.

Just so you know, it was stated a while back that the chameleon was taken to the vet and a splint was fitted :p.

thanks for your help!!

i have taken her to the vet and it was a fracture.A small splint has been fitted and some drops to be given oraly.

Just so you know, it was stated a while back that the chameleon was taken to the vet and a splint was fitted :p.

It's not always good to do things like that yourself.. it can end up doing more good than harm in the end.. it's better for a VET that's had years of experience to do something like that.
Like you said the leg on yours is a bit deformed.. that may have been preventable if the vet had done it.
edit: Not to mention paper isn't exactly the most stable thing in the world..

Good luck with your little one, Pacca.

It's not always good to do things like that yourself.. it can end up doing more good than harm in the end.. it's better for a VET that's had years of experience to do something like that.
Like you said the leg on yours is a bit deformed.. that may have been preventable if the vet had done it.
edit: Not to mention paper isn't exactly the most stable thing in the world..

Good luck with your little one, Pacca.

Yes I know. Not the best idea but it was at a point where I did not have a bulk amount of money to throw around so I did what i could. It was inspired by Jurassic park when Sarah Harding puts a cast on the baby t-rex.

His leg maybe deformed but he is not any different that he was before. Still the pansy of the bunch

Pacca has had her second shot of zolcal this morning and her claw/foot seems to be working better too.:D:D:D

Minihuey,

i think the making of a splint shouldn't be attempted unless you have either, seen it before, or have some help from somebody who has experience in this.
My ideas of a splint before i saw the vet were pretty exact but i couldnt be sure so didnt try. Also the brake/fracture was on her knee as opposed to the upper part of her leg, which is meant to be, and looks a lot more difficult to spilnt. My vet said i can replicate the way he has done the plaster if it should fall off(because of the humidity in the enclosure.)
I can understand what you mean about the financial side of things, fortunatly my mum was able to help with the cost (£82 due to out of hours) as i have been off work for two weeks,coulnt have come at a worse time!! at the same time i dont think it would have hurt to take it to the vets at a later date.Glad all is well now though!!:)

gesang,

the bone isnt through the skin thank god, but will be keeping a close eye on her!!!

Yes I know. Not the best idea but it was at a point where I did not have a bulk amount of money to throw around so I did what i could. It was inspired by Jurassic park when Sarah Harding puts a cast on the baby t-rex.

His leg maybe deformed but he is not any different that he was before. Still the pansy of the bunch
Yes, going to the right away is the best option, in all cases. But there are owners out there who may be young and don’t have the funds or transportation at that point in time. Or maybe a teenager who doesn’t want to get in trouble by their parents for being irresponsible or whatever the case. Or a person who should not have a pet considering they can’t take care of them. But my point is things happen and some people are unable to get them to a vet. So for the readers out there who may in the future freak out because something like this happens and they can’t go to the vet right away. Thank you for your response.

Actually, it does matter. No need to bring a super old thread to the front page. If someone needs to find an old thread, or just a specific topic in general, there is a search bar at the top. :)

Back
Top Bottom