Postnatal Hoehnelii concern

Ben82

Hi all,
I had a postnatal check up with my vet today, and she was concerned about how bloated my Cham is (I’ll post pictures below)

a couple of days after giving birth, she seemed to loose a lot of the bloat and it wasn’t until the doc pointed it out, that I saw it. She used a stethoscope while tapping her sides and heard no sign of fluid. Did I read Somewhere or hear correctly on the podcast maybe that they may retain sperm and give birth at a later date? Because she still looks pregnant.

2nd point. I had a young Hoehnelii female for 3 weeks back in February before she tanked and crashed in 4 days and passed away from what I believe was a respiratory infection, the x-ray showed no fluid in her lungs yet I was syringing out a clear mucus at the end. The x-ray showed she was distended with air. I’ll post the x-ray

I’d appreciate any thoughts and feedback.
@bobcochran @Kaizen and anyone else with experience in this area.

Cheers,
Ben

Attachments

• C5D61674-4CAB-4134-880A-07D9E0BAC6BE.jpeg
    C5D61674-4CAB-4134-880A-07D9E0BAC6BE.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 7899B094-CA59-440B-B3D6-1B2F5ED232A4.jpeg
    7899B094-CA59-440B-B3D6-1B2F5ED232A4.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 73
  • E4DFFE9B-4192-4018-AE51-52CAD8971495.jpeg
    E4DFFE9B-4192-4018-AE51-52CAD8971495.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 76
How long ago did she give birth? It takes a while for the retained sperm to form another clutch. She shouldn't appear gravid again immediately postpartum. If a folicle or ovum ruptures during the birth it can lead to peritonitis shortly there after.

How long ago did she give birth? It takes a while for the retained sperm to form another clutch. She shouldn't appear gravid again immediately postpartum. If a folicle or ovum ruptures during the birth it can lead to peritonitis shortly there after.
Thank you for the reply Jacksjill, she gave birth 9 days ago. How serious is peritonitis? Is there a treatment? Any other symptoms I should look for?

I would think by now you would see other symptoms like loss of appetite, physical depression and dehydration. Surgery and or antibiotics and supportive care would be necessary and probably not give much chance of success.

I would think by now you would see other symptoms like loss of appetite, physical depression and dehydration. Surgery and or antibiotics and supportive care would be necessary and probably not give much chance of success.
Wow ? she’s been eating well, this morning she ate 3 Black soldier flies and a couple of crickets and at lunch she ate 3 crickets. Her urates are still white and she’s active when not basking.

Back
Top Bottom