Posting for a friend!

JessG

Friend of a friend sent this picture of his chameleon. He noticed the black a week ago. He said he is waiting for his vet appt. also noticed her mouth slightly open. He said she does not close it at all even when she sleeps. He said there is also little black dots on her gums now
Any help would be appreciated while he is waiting for the vet.
I wish I could help him out, but I’m still learning about chams. And tried to google but could not find anything.
Will get his husbandry info in the am!

Attachments

• 6D1B2690-5316-414B-A788-E70B95BBADF9.jpeg
    6D1B2690-5316-414B-A788-E70B95BBADF9.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 189
It would be helpful to full out the "Help Request Form". It would give the members a better picture of how she is raised, husbandry, supplements and the basic care the chameleon gets.
By the pic it looks dehydrated and burnt. If it doesn't close its mouth, could be MBD.

It would be helpful to full out the "Help Request Form". It would give the members a better picture of how she is raised, husbandry, supplements and the basic care the chameleon gets.
By the pic it looks dehydrated and burnt. If it doesn't close its mouth, could be MBD.
She is not mine but will try and get the info from him to post!

hameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Veiled. Female. 7-8 months. 2/3 months

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Bring her out in the sun when it is nice. Or cage cleaning.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Crickets. Super worms. Horn worms. Butter worms. Daily in the morning. Fed with fresh fruits and veggies.

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Not sure of brand. But calcium without D3 every feeding. Calcium with 2 a week same with vitamins.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Misting 3-4 times a day. For about 4-5 mins. Also a dripper.

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Dark normal looking stool. White urates. No never tested.

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Screen cage. 4x4x5

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Basking bulb 60w house bulb. 10.0 repti sun. 8-8

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Basking temp is 80/85. All around is 70s. Thermometer digital.

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Live plants. 60/65 percent humidity.

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Pothos.

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

• Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • Ontario.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Looks like its under text book care, however the baking bulb should not be a house bulb. I'm not sure what the problem is. Sorry I can't help but there is plenty of more knowledgeable people on here.

Looks like its under text book care, however the baking bulb should not be a house bulb. I'm not sure what the problem is. Sorry I can't help but there is plenty of more knowledgeable people on here.
Which not house bulbs? I have a Cham also. And have him under a house bulb. I was told by a few breeders that it was okay.

Which not house bulbs? I have a Cham also. And have him under a house bulb. I was told by a few breeders that it was okay.
I always thought that you need basking bulbs for better heat. Maybe I've been wasting my money on basking bulbs. I've been using it for about a few years now and even have them for my baby chameleon.

Household bulbs are fine for a basking lamp. The br30 are the ones suggested most of the time if going household.

@JessG can you confirm he is giving her calcium w/d3 and vitamins twice a week? Or is that a mistype?

I was about to say that’s a lot of D3 Also mentioned he takes her out in the sun. Doesn’t say how much tho

Household bulbs are fine for a basking lamp. The br30 are the ones suggested most of the time if going household.

@JessG can you confirm he is giving her calcium w/d3 and vitamins twice a week? Or is that a mistype?
Mistype! I was talking to him on the phone while trying to fill it out lol. D3 and vitamins are twice a month!

He is taking her to a vet. But it’s a bit of a wait. So told him I’d post, maybe we could get an idea as to what it could be.

Back
Top Bottom